Thread: Point me in the right direction.

Default Point me in the right direction.

Hello. I am new to the forum. My name is Isa. I think it is absolutely exhilarating that you can turn date into money. I need someone to point me in the right direction as to what type of strategy and technical indicators I should be learning.

So I have a few questions. And ultimately my goal is to trade penny stocks, and achieve a 12 gain monthly playing only long. So far all I've figured out about the stock market is you want to create a decent watch-list with a smaller float if you're looking for good gains. I Google to see if there's any promotion going on for the stock. I look to see if any credible resources have said anything about the stock (CNNmoney etc.). I look at the history of of the graph, usually a couple of years back I see a pump and dump. So when it's going up 4 years later dramatically I assume it's another pump and dump. The only (technical indicator I look for is a "breakout". I do play on a simulator, I have had a lot of luck with large cap companies. And I would stick to large cap companies but money is limited. I will be getting a 2800 dollar tax return soon and I'd like to start trading with that. I know it's not enough for any significant gains but it's where I'm at.

Also when I trade large market caps I just look at the graph to the one day, and five day, if it's trending I buy and I usually get it right. If the next day it's losing i just get out quickly.

Please nitpick at everything I just said, I know I'm ignorant thus far with the stock market. I'm looking for some guidance.
    Here are some questions.

-Is there any technical indicators that are proven to work more often than others?
    -Is there a better way to seek to see if there's promotion other than Google?
    -Should I consider learning to short or just stick with longs for now due to inexperience?
    -What should I study next?

My situation was the same. But I decided right away that I didn't want anything to do with penny stocks yet. I then decided to learn to use option strategies as they allow you to buy/sell the more solid companies. Here is a quick video about one strategy for a small account.

Options are far more advanced way of trading. Don't take my word for it. Learn about them

No....the goal with this strategy is not to own the stock. Just to trade the options. This is just an introduction. There is much more to it.

Because penny stocks are not quality products. If you can order a pizza you can learn to trade options.

I have no problem with hitting the books. Is there less risk involved in options? Also are the gains more limited than penny stocks? I know this question is almost irrelevant but I had to ask.