Thread: Do you consider yourself an Egalitarian?

Aboberrogy

Default Do you consider yourself an Egalitarian?

Do you consider yourself an Egalitarian? (20 votes)

Yes 65

No 35

Other? 0

From Wikipedia:

"Egalitarianism is a school of thought that prioritizes equality for all people. According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status.According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the term has two distinct definitions in modern English: either as a political doctrine that all people should be treated as equals and have the same political, economic, social and civil rights;or as a social philosophy advocating the removal of economic inequalities among people, economic egalitarianism, or the decentralization of power. Some sources define egalitarianism as the point of view that equality reflects the natural state of humanity."

adabetun

In the age of 3rd wave feminism, people may tend to shy away from identifying as a "feminist". Despite this, I suspect many here who hold positions similar to that of 1st and 2nd wave feminist. As such, this term appears to be trending. What are your thoughts?

Do you believe in equal rights?

Do you believe in equal opportunity?

Do you support equal outcome?

Do you prefer equality or equity?

AdelineLau

I do consider myself that
    Do you believe in equal rights: Yes

Do you believe in equal opportunity: Yes

Do you support equal outcome: No, equality of outcome is fundamentally wrong

Do you prefer equality or equity: Equality is vastly preferable

I do believe in equal rights. No I do t support equal outcome, if I work harder than someone why should we come out at the end as equals(in terms of outcome and distinction).

Equal right- Yes
    Equal opportunity- yes
    Equal outcome?- No
    Equality or Equity- Equality in a landslide
    I like to think I hold a good bit of Egalitarian beliefs

While I'm not huge on labels I'd say this one fits me pretty well.
    I believe in equal rights.
    Equal opportunity.
    However there's simply no way to dictate or ensure equal outcome, that's dependent on circumstances and individual output.
    I believe in equity as much as it is reasonable.