Thread: Davo's hedge fund

Default Davo's hedge fund

This must be my first post for over a year, and my first post that will not mention any tech. indicator!
    I am sharing the following because I have learnt a lot from various folk in this forum, and just maybe something in this post helps someone else and/or helps me again.

5-6 weeks ago I got bored being in cash, and either in a 4 am flash or at the traffic lights, decided to see if it was possible to do all of the following in a trading system:
    1. Make a decent living with CFDs (as against my usual form of losing money trying to get rich quickly) starting with $8500 (the balance in the CFD acct at the time
    2. Take out almost all the fear associated with the CFD leverage
    3. Make money regardless of whether the market is bearish or bullish or whatever
    4. Reduce the likelihood of a very nasty morning on the back of a terrorist attack or other calamity in NY!

I decided to:
    1. keep position size small and constant.
    2. Stick to the australian market
    3. be short and long in approximately equal $ amounts all the time
    4. Use the technicals to get me into and out of trend following positions in a robotic, emotion free fashion
    5. Not put stop orders in the market. Rather, check each position at end of day to see if a new stop loss order was due. This might be at 3.30 pm, or after market close.

Result.
    After 6 weeks I now have 42 $3000 positions, with slight lean to the longs - maybe 22/42. I have always been a bit biassed to the long side - it seems to be difficult to stop myself thinking as a trader for upside profit!

Account balance has doubled as of Friday (on unrealised profits).
    I am astounded at how this is going. I expect it to kick me, but I have only had 1 bad day, and no bad weeks.

Would love to here if there is a basic flaw here, or how more experienced CFD traders would improve the system.

Aim number 4 has yet to be tested. I guess there could be an overnight disaster where the market sells my longs and buys my shorts ferociously. Am thinking about that possibility, and how to be ready for a 5% fall in leveraged account balance (ie, at the moment a capital loss of 5% of $128,000. However, even that result would leave me with a $2000 gain (about 20%) for the 6 weeks or so.

I intend continuing reinvesting profits. Am making about $1500-2000 per week now.

Some might think that having to check the charts on 42 stocks every day was a bit tedious. However, the decision as to whether a trend has stopped takes about a 3 seconds look for most of the positions, and a maybe 20 seconds if there is a bit of doubt. I will check 200 stocks in an hour every night if I have to, if the $ is still flowing in the right direction!

A disadvantage will be coming up next week if I cannot get on IC while overseas for a few days. However, the indicator used to alert me to put on a very tight stop loss or a sell order is available in the CFD provider and on yahoo charts.

Look forward to any comments and helpful advice.

That's a very encouraging post dydavo. What are your trading strategy rules? If we knew the rules we could comment with more conviction.

My alert to put in the stop loss order is an RSI that has clearly crossed to the alternate side of 50. I tolerate the consolidation (ie, do not put in the stop order) if the RSI moves into contact with the 50 RSI, and going sideways on about a 50 RSI at support (for longs) or resistance for shorts. However, if it crosses over, then the stop loss order is entered, jammed up tight below or above the previous close.

have been trading CFDs since CMC started in Ozz -- changed over to IG early 2007.

If what your doing is working then great , but from my own trading -- Longs/Shorts/Hedges, Aust Stocks only .

1: with 42 positions I think your leverage is WAY to high .
    i now go in on the basis of a total of all positions not to exceed 3 times the Account size , hence your $8,500 would mean a Max of $25,000 total for all open positions .

2: NEVER EVER have a " AUTOMATIC STOP " - this is the biggest trap with CFDs in my opinion , far better the way your doing it with EoD -- maybe closer to around 3.50/3.55 pm though if you can otherwise next day around 11.30 am.

3: I,ve found sticking with XJO stocks only to be O/K as you can Short most of these or use them as a short term Hedge.

4: If you can handle all those positions at once then good , i prefer a max of 5 open at any one time over a max 20 day trading period.

5: remember , you are paying interest on the total position size for a Long .

good thread though -- hope we see some positive input , instead of all the bagging by those who do not understand CFDs.