It really comes down to your ability to time the breakouts and your time frame for willing or not willing to be in the trade. It has nothing to do with how much DD you put in. You can spend hours researching a stock and basically fall in love with it, but that doesn't mean others will. It's all based on supply and demand. Focus more on the price action of what is moving in the markets and less on the research and you will find more opportunities in less time. Don't beat yourself up over it, just adapt. Especially if looking to play low priced momentum, adapting quickly is a must. This is my primary focus and have been trading full-time since 2010.

One big thing is recent range (highs and lows). The ability to scan for this is my number one priority. Finviz has great free scans that you can play with to find the market movers. Today I found CNET early (1.60ish) and traded PRAN for a 70 cent win. Granted I use a fairly extensive intra-day scanning software program, but Finviz can help you do your homework at night to give you get an idea of what is actually moving in the market.

Research and fundamentals are great for investing in mid/large cap stocks that you may hold onto for awhile, but you're usually just wasting your time digging into the junk small caps that really only have potential to have potential. Most are losing money, need to do secondary offerings to stay in business, or have some pipeline of potential products that could take years to develop. So forget all that crap, it will drive you nuts. Learn to read the price action. Sure you can read news, but take it with a grain of salt and play the hot stocks without falling in love....

Also if one stock isn't moving, why the heck stay frustrated? Get out and move on to something else. That said, CNET & PRAN are not 'buys' unless you know what to look for. I was just making a point. There will be something else tomorrow I'm sure.