I am new to active trading. In the past I have been a buy and hold investor, but now I have changed looking for more of a growth strategy. My goal is to replace my income from my job in the next few years. However, just a few weeks in I am getting frustrated. I am sure this is common, but I am hoping I can draw upon the experience of others to help me focus on some factors that will help me be more sucessful.

My primary frustration isn't losses since I haven't had any more than $50 or so thus far. It's the fact that out of the several dozen stocks that I have selected as good investments I seem to filter out the good ones and buy the ones that just never seem to go anywhere.

I mean heck at this point I wish they would do something, even hit my stops so I could move on, but they just move up & down 5-10 cents each day. One day up then give it all back the next day.

On the other hand the stocks I for one reason or another passed on just keep going up. These were on my short list so it's all the more frustrating.

$YOD Identified at around $3, passed on it because my capital is limited and didn't think the return would be good enough... It rocketed to close to $6 within two days.

$CPST Identified at around $1.60, but passed because it was at what appeared to be solid resistance. It's at $1.95 today and still rising. Going to try to get in tomorrow, but I'd be willing to bet that will end up being close to the peak.

$HK Identified at around $3.50, passed on it because my capital is limited and didn't think the return would be good enough... It has been over $4 in the last few days.

$IO Identified at around $3, passed on it because my capital is limited and didn't think the return would be good enough... It is over $4 now.

$PLUG Identified at around $3 passed on it because my capital is limited and didn't think the return would be good enough... Is it about $4.40 now.

After watching $YOD explode I stepped up and bought a few different stocks (and passed on the ones mentioned above) some of which were higher priced than I figured I should commit to ($HERO, $TWGP) based on a few analyst aticles as well as the best DD I have been able to muster with the extensive reading I've been doing. Both of these as well as $QTM, $CVM & $HEB have pretty much gone sideways.

Can someone please let me in on the secret of isolating what stocks are primed to move and which are duds? What are the most critical factor to look for in determining which stocks are about to move and what ones aren't?