Thread: noob question - how to detect if news if affecting a stock?

Default noob question - how to detect if news if affecting a stock?

First post so go easy please ;-)

I'm an experienced software developer with some time on my hands now and I'm looking to create a free system that will detect stock movements and then check pretty much every news source that can be checked online for news regarding this company. So that's blogs, social media, news websites etc. With the aim of getting this information to the user as quickly as possible.

At the moment I'm not sure whats the best way to detect that something might be effecting a stock, I was going to go with just the price of the stock but then I thought some news may be interpreted as good to some and bad to others so the price might not actually change much. Then I thought of checking the volume of the stock over a short interval. I saw some websites do offer this but it appears they don't show "out of hours" trading volume. Is that correct? If not can someone point me in the direction of one that does?

What stats would you guys recommend looking at to detect "interest/purchases" and where is the best place to source these stats/figures?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

First Jamie, welcome to the forums. Reuter's, Bloomberg, ADP are several sources of real time market data for price and volume information but access to that data is not cheap. I'm not sure of what you are looking for as an end result that would be any faster then what my broker already gives me within my brokerage account. When I pull up a stock symbol I get fairly quick news results within a minute or 2 of it coming out. Also, traders who want to be quick on the trigger regarding movement are turning to algorithms to avoid having to sit and watch for immediate news or information. I don't mean to discourage but not sure how this might catch on considering the current rapid deployment of news. Maybe others will have a better take.