Thread: Market Filter/Switch

alissa17Cam

Default Market Filter/Switch

I've started this thread to compare different Market filters or switches and to show their current state.
    The beauty of having a mechanical Index filter for your trading is that there is no agonising over what to do.
    One of the most well known filters is the 50dma/200dma cross (currently off)
    I have my own switch signal (call it STT for short) which is based purely on price bars and gives me weekly on/off signals.(currently off)
    Then there's the Coppock entry signal (which needs a suitable exit) and probably many others.
    If anyone has a favourite switch feel free to name it & contribute a chart, table or method, or if they have a good exit for the Coppock indicator I'd like to hear about it.
    As the Small Ords Index behaves so differently to the big end of town I think switches should be applied to both the ASX 100 and the Small Ords.
    I'll start a table & any others can be added in as we go.

Use of the Market Switch/Filter.

I do not use my own On/Off switch (STTw) to be totally in or totally out of the Market, rather I use it to indicate when to add to the portfolio & when not to add.

When the switch is off, positions are allowed to remain in the market and either be stopped out by their trailing stops or not.

The Off switch could also be used to tighten stops when the broad market is falling.