Thread: Timeframe For Intraday Trading

AllanGon

I need to know which is the best timeframe for intraday trading.
    In my trading I had started with 1 minute chart. Then 2 , 3 minute charts. Then shifted to 5 minutes chart. Then found that 10 minute charts are working well in all segments. Then found 15 minute charts are more stable than 10 minute charts. Then moved to 30 minute charts. Then found Hourly charts are more stable than 30 minute charts. Then found that 3 hour chart also giving good chart for pattern trading.
    Finally I am using 30 or 15 minute and hourly charts for intraday trading currently.
    Need to know which one is popular timeframe used by most of the intraday traders.
    alissa17Cam

Default Timeframe For Intraday Trading

I see from your profile you probably don't have a lot of trading experience(and I don't mean this to be disrespectful)but noted your 'revealed' age and to a lesser extent your 'location'.

Anyway, I'm prepared to offer an opinion/answer? to help you decide what intraday trading chart/tools/timeframes might be best for you to use. Having said that, please be aware that it depends on what markets you are trading(or interested in trading). Indicies and Stocks are very different to Futures and FX trading ... mainly because they have different Trading times and some are restricted to local market times and others are traded almost 24hrs/day. This is a very important thing to consider when using/choosing what timeframe intraday charts to follow BECAUSE local market only traded stocks/indicies have many gap-up/gap-down openings simply because they are closed for most of the global trading times available to, say, Futures and FX. THESE gaps affect the effectiveness of intraday technical tools since many, oscillators for example, use the last period data and close prior to the gap within their calculations... hence you often see spikes(both ways) at the close of the opening period of their readings. Simply put, many intraday oscillators can be inaccurate and create incorrect over-bought/sold levels simply because of the gap_up/dn on opening. Take a 5min RSI chart as example...At the close of the closing bar on one it may be in an oversold level BUT at the end of the 1st 5mins the next day, after a GAP-up overseas, it is immediately reversed to an extremely overbought level. Sure 5 min timeframes over the course of a few hours will smooth out that imperfection so not too bad but with a 15min or even a 30min RSI chart will take 9-21 periods to smooth out depending on the selection of the RSI period.

OK, trying very hard not to get too complex here but before I suggest, and maybe show a couple of examples of the Time Frame charts/tools I use, can I ask two basic questions...[1] what markets and exchanges are you interested in Trading? and [2] How long do you look/expect to hold trades using intraday charts? ... for example 2-4 days, 4-14 days or no time frame.

To offer a bit of encouragement to come back I'll reveal that I like(d) to use 4min/20min/60min timeframes for ASX/NYSE Stocks BUT 5min/20min/60min/240min for Futures and FX.
    AlleneEvaky

I see your question is about the "best time-frame for intra-day trading".

No matter what indicators you use I suggest that you google "How to Trade Stocks Using Multiple Time Frames" & you will probably find a system of time-frames that suits your trading style and personality.