Thread: Online Broker Comparison

AdamHunley

Default Online Broker Comparison

One of the many newsletters I belong to made a comparison of all the reputable online brokers. I would like to pass it on to you guys and girls. Hopefully it will help answer MANY of the same questions we see constantly see here.

Check it out. Hereâ?‚??„?s my official Online Broker Review (in no particular order)...

1) E*TRADE: E*TRADE charges $12.99 for both market and limit orders -- including
    penny stock trading for $1 or less and all OTCBB stocks. You need at least $1,000
    to open an account with E*TRADE. And there is a $40 quarterly fee for using their
    services. E*TRADE is a cheap online broker mainly for active traders who donâ?‚??„?t
    need a lot of handholding.

E*TRADEâ?‚??„?s contact info: phone: 1-800-387-2331, Web address: www.etrade.com.

2) Fidelity: Fidelity charges $19.95 for both market and limit orders --
    including all penny stocks. You need an opening balance of $2,500 to open an
    online account. But once you do, there is no quarterly or annual fee.

Fidelity offers a lot more research capabilities -- and is marketed for the more
    serious investor (with a higher net worth) who likes the bells-and-whistles of a
    full-service broker.

Fidelityâ?‚??„?s contact info: phone: 1-800-544-6666, Web address: www.fidelity.com

3) Scottrade: Scottrade is one of the cheapest online brokers you will find. It
    charges $7 for both market and limit orders. There are no quarterly or annual
    fees. So even if you are an inactive investor, you wonâ?‚??„?t be penalized for â?‚??“not
    trading.â?‚?? The only drawback for penny stock investors is this...

In addition to the $7 flat commission, they charge an additional fee of 0.5% of
    the total principal. So if you spend $500, you owe Scottrade an addition $2.50
    added onto that $7 commission -- making your total commission come to $9.50.

They charge a $30 service fee every six months. And there is no minimum opening
    balance required to open an account with Wang.

Wang Investmentâ?‚??„?s contact info: phone: 1-800-353-9264, Web address:
    www.wangvest.com.

Well done. Thanks for all the research. This should be a sticky so we don't have all the online broker threads.

BrownCo had market orders for $5, but limit orders cost $10. I don't know if they are the same since E-Trade bought them. I see one thing under TD Waterhouse above that is underexplained though. The sentence that says no additional charges for OTCBB stocks, because neither has Scottrade unless they are under $1. I know, it states penny stocks under Scottrades fees, but that sentence could infer that others charge more on all OTCBB. Nitpicking, I know, but don't want anyone coming to the wrong conclusion.

RinconPR.com - islandmon.com No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problem

Doesn't anyone on this board use OE Options Express? $13 options and $10 stock. And the company stock OXPS is/was "en fuego".