Thread: home work

Default home work

can anybody give a few tips to make the homwork less time consuming
    I am having trouble finding info on setor movements. any help would be greatly apperaciated
    Thanks

I see Cramer say 1 hour of homework per week per stock. Where do I find the data for the necessary calculations and what are the formulas for the calculations?

Your broker may have their own screener that would be included with your trading platform. BUT if they don't finviz.com has a pretty decent screener with multiple criteria including fundamentals, technicals, and descriptive variables. If you haven't checked it out yet, it's worth a look.

The 1 hour per week of homework that Cramer keeps pounding in his viewers' heads includes but is not limited to:
    News Searches for ANYTHING that can effect the companies' fundamentals. Don't forget derivatives. If a competitor takes a hit, it may be beneficial to your company, it may also be detrimental to your company, so you have to interpret the news correctly. "If there's a drought in Columbia.... buy coffee."
    AWGNorine

Jim pays attention to earnings, new product announcements and patterns regarding those announcements. For example Apple usually sells off right after a new product announcement and then rallies into it's release (remember... nothing is 100%). Remember... rumors are news too. ANYTHING that can make price move weather it's a rumor or the truth is important. It can be hard to weed out the rumors, but that's part of the game.

I'm encouraged that Jim is finally including a Charting segment of his show. He is admitting that technicals are a big part of the process. They always have been.

For many technicians or short term technical analysis traders, our homework consists of looking at a lot of charts and recognizing price patterns and levels of support and resistance. We can use these to trade against on a short term basis. We also trade news events, but don't care so much about fundamentals.

Technicians "homework" is very intense learning to start with. We learn to recognize patterns in the markets along with the correlation between currencies, commodities, gold, treasuries, the FED, unemployment and other equities. All this information taken from charts and headlines can give us indications which direction the market will head in the short term and intermediate term. Once pattern recognition is perfected my homework takes me about a minute of looking at a chart and I can set up a trade or decide to pass it up for the next opportunity.

I'll be honest... Cramer's style is not my style. I disagree with a lot of things he says, but he's operating under the assumption that his viewers are investing and not trading, and fundamentals matter more in long term trades than in short term trades.

I encourage anyone and everyone to join my Trading Ideas section of Talking Technicals for FREE. Listen to my commentary on the markets. Watch what I'm watching and see if you can learn something from it. If you disagree with my commentary.... well someone has to be on the other side of my trade.

Is there any way to invest in the price of gold? Not a gold mine or anything, just that the price will rise and if so how do you do that? was JUN the symbol for gold?