Thread: Success with 100% Systematic Trading?

Default Success with 100% Systematic Trading?

I was wondering if anyone is having any success with trading using a 100% systematic approach with automated trading?

I think that just getting any system and backtesting it so it's profitable and running it forward is asking for a disaster. I do believe that a quality strategy with proper backtesting and forward testing will yield a positive outcome. Problem is - I've never had the tools to do this and have never had anyone share their real life experiences with me on it.

I would be really interested in hearing from people that are making this approach work and what they found to be the biggest reasons it is working for them. I believe that the actual strategies that are used are not a big part of it like most people think. I think it's -how- you test and employ those strategies that will make you or break you. Thats just my opinion at this point. I have zero data to back that up so this is why I want to hear from others that are making it work.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and again if you decide to help me out by sharing your experiences with me and the others that will read this.

I have been doing this for over 3 years now. Day trading eminis. But I disagree that actual strategies are not so important. They are, your insight is vital and your tools as well. I am a physicist turned trader, so I have a good background in analytical tools, but I still think your insight matters more than backtesting, the latter is what most people can do, the insight is something that only you can contribute.

Well, anyway, good luck. You mileage may vary, but it may be worth trying.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have worked in the software industry for 21 years now and I have done a lot of programming over the years. I currently program all of my strategies but have not had access to any tools that would allow me to back/forward test them correctly. I am much more of a scientific type of personality and would prefer to take that sort of approach to my trading.

Is the majority of your trading been with automated strategies? If you're successful, what do you think have been big reasons that have led to your success?