Thread: DIS - The Walt Disney Company

Bryanbeils

Default DIS - The Walt Disney Company

Surprise? Yeah I would say so. Like no one wants to stay there. Disney is facing pressure.

Their ESPN segment: Sports are losing their stranglehold on (American) society. Look at the decline in interest in March Madness this year; I know this is not directly owned by ESPN, but I think it is a signal. Once people realize they don't need to follow every game in March Madness then what is next? They are now realizing they can live without football for months, and their lives are fine. There's tons of other entertainment options. This is an on demand society.

Their Marvel/Star Wars segment: Don't assume you can pencil in $2B movies every summer for the next 10 years. Remember how pervasive Tower Records used to be? People learned they don't need to spend $20 on entertainment, once they found downloading in the late 90's, and streaming nowadays. Various parts of movie entertainment have disappeared as well already. Drive in movie theaters, Blockbuster Video...All that's left is the movie theater, and once that falls to Netflix's alternative (jeez, I don't need to waste time on parking and overspend on stale popcorn?) then where will movies play?

Insist DevilsAdvocate here choose a shorter username, or at least go back to marcydarcy! lol

back to Staggs leaving...what's up with the next leader of the largest media conglomerate just up and leaving? What's that say? He doesn't even have a plan of where he's going, he just wants to get out?

Is revenue from Stars Wars already considered in the current price? I've read that not all of the profits from Star Wars has been reported yet.

I'm also wondering if the opening of the new Shanghai Disney resort will produce additional profit and drive the stock price up.

As for movies, I'm not sure if streaming/Netflix will have that much of an overall impact to Disney's revenue, at least not for now...In the end, the primary target of children will keep revenues coming at the Disney Worlds around the world, sales of toys, etc...