I have working on an options trading concept for 3 years. The first year was development (mildly profitable), the 2nd year was honing the details on about 150 trrades and the last year the system was used for 204 trades. Results within the system are very good.

System Summary:
1 - the system mandates all the known variables that influence potential success on a trade are pointing in your favor, so the first step is to prepare a list of fundamentally sound (and unsound) companies - my current list is about 150 tickers. Unsound company example - NFLX recently - irrational euphoria which is good, PE 265, analyst projections of average growth over the next 5 years only 8% annually and chart peaking. Conditions which were very bearish, premiums that met my entry conditions, so an entry with a specific upside protection was/is a high probability trade.
2 - review the candidate list weekly for chart patterns with a couple specific characteristics that meet system entry requirements - good week produces 10, poor week none
3 - confirm the fundamental conditions are still present that orignially led to ticker being added to candidate watch list
4 - review credit option opportunity (max 6 weeks to exp) with a focus on two issues. A specific % downside (upside for bear trades) protection based on time to expiration and meeting the minimum annualized return based time to exp, margin req'd and max profit.
5 - Downside/upside protection is the key, so the maximum safety is utilized when minimum annual return criteria are satisfied.
6 - For long term success a trader must measure the p/l of trades that comply exactly with the rules, and also measure the performance of those that do not comply. A statistical omparison of these numbers will make you a believer.
7 - My results are outstanding for high volatility periods and acceptable for low volatility periods. Low volatility reduces the number of candidates meeting entry requirements. Since my system constrains the size of each trade, the level of account cash is high during low periods. Therefore, I do very well in high volatility periods. In low volatility periods my market exposure is down, my return on active trades is equivalent but my cash is always higher, so my net is down.