Thread: inheartied stocks now what ?

Abassiemer

Default inheartied stocks now what ?

Hi, my name is Rob... I inherited a bunch of stocks & bonds via a trust and want to find some info as the trust should be closing here in the next few weeks and my understanding is the stocks will be transferred into my name sometime soon....... to be honest i just wanted to cash them in so I can buy a house. How do I go about doing that, what kind of costs can I expect and just basic knowledge about the process. I read some stuff off the net and to be honest I'm more confused now but some how found my way here so thought might as well post and see if someone can answer the question for me.

Wait until you know exactly what you have then call two or three different brokers and find out what they would charge you to sell the lot. It shouldn't be very complicated.

oh I already know what stocks are in the lot, didn't know it would be that easy to cash them in.

It would help to know what you mean by "transferred into my name". Where is the trust now? Let's say it's at Smith Barney. Does that mean that some lawyer somewhere will open up an account at Smith Barney in your name and mail you the account number? If that's the case, then you just call them up and tell them to liquidate everything and send you a check.

If all you want is the cash, then selling it as soon as you know how would be easier than opening your own account and transferring the shares to the new brokerage, etc.

Should be simple once you know where the account is.

If all you want is the cash, then selling it as soon as you know how would be easier than opening your own account and transferring the shares to the new brokerage, etc.