Thread: Would You Spend Most of Your Time in Virtual Reality?

Default Would You Spend Most of Your Time in Virtual Reality?

Assume that virtual reality has reached a point such that it is indistinguishable from real life. Fantasy is like reality, and anything is possible in the VR.
    Assume that this technology works by you putting a VR headset, being induced into a sort of sleep, in which you experience everything in your mind. Think Matrix or Sword Art Online, except there is no real danger.
    Would you give up your life in the real world to spend most if not all of your time in a virtual reality world where anything is possible? Do you think you would be addicted? Hooked?

Not by any means. Would be a whole lot of fun to visit and play in, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Even if you could do anything and everything?
    Emphasis on indistinguishable from real life.
    You could be a glorious and revered emperor, or surf the cosmos like Silver Surfer, a playboy billionaire, or an adventurer in a mystical and enchanted land.

So basically Sword Art Online?
    If It was a video game, I think I could maintain a real life and still become all powerful and abuse said power horribly in the game. Its more or less what I do in WoW but to a lesser extent

No. I don't think I'd spend much more time in virtual reality than I spend on the internet now. Besides, there are so many things in the real world I want to see (Yosemite, The Grand Canyon, The Amazon rainforest, etc) that would make me want to stay in the real world.
    This reminds of a great book trilogy I read called "The Mortality Doctrine." Basically, it's about a future in which we have pretty much what you've described; a virtual reality internet system that's so good that it's basically replaced the need for reality. If a concept like this interests you, you should check it out. The first book is called "The Eye of the Minds."