PDA

View Full Version : Fixed income selection analysis

Angewygom
10-06-2016,
Dear All,
I really need your help. I work within an investment team. From reporting we are moving to fixed income selection.
The management gave us some criterias like: the yield they want, the currency, the rating etc. Using Bloomberg it resulted in more 400 securities. Now is the question: how to analyse those securities and pick up the good ones? What should I look at?

AnthonyVom
10-08-2016,
Swap and CDS spreads? Which other parameters and in which order I should consider them?
I would really appreciate if you could show me an example of fixed income selection with all analysis and conclusions.
Thank you in advance!

abawasep33
10-09-2016,
This is your job? Do you not know what exactly they are looking for, or you don't know how to do it? Do you know if they are looking for long term growth investments or shert term trading gains. The question is kind of broad and vague. It would be better for anyone who helps you if you list the exact criteria they are looking for as opposed to a couple of questions. As it is, you list three pretty general criteriom and ask how to go about finding the kind of stocks they would want.

adolume
10-09-2016,
Seems to me (and I'll admit up front i'm a newbie in this field) that if you have a collection of securities to choose from and you have a rating (independent assessment of safety) and you have the swap data (an independent market-based assessment of safety) that you can save yourself the time and just randomly select a diversified set.

AdamarWeri
10-09-2016,
If you want to do your own evaluation (beyond the rating and swap data) then the place that I would look would be how much cash is available to pay the interest obligation and how much obligation exists in total. Then throw in free cash flow of the enterprise.

admin
10-10-2016,
Of course Moodys rated toxic mortgage securities AAA and caused the whole mortgage meltdown, so who knows how good a rating is.