PDA

View Full Version : # of BARS to look back?

Agalasel
08-15-2016,
Hello,

I've read several posts on the forum about the market analyzer. I'd like to confirm some information to make sure I understand it correctly as I'm experiencing problems with the values when compared to their corresponding chart values.

AgrikGex
08-18-2016,
1) The Market Analyzer will ONLY display the correct values that CORRESPOND to what is displayed on your chart if you are connected to a LIVE REAL TIME DATA FEED, even though the indicator values display correctly on the chart when using EOD data only?

2) Problem - even when I am connected to a LIVE REAL TIME DATA FEED, my indicator values are NOT displaying correctly in the Market Analyzer on the HIGHER TIME FRAMES although they appear correct on the chart?
What I need to understand is the ''# of BARS to look back'' in the Market Analyzer. The default setting is 50 BARS. My indicator values in Market Analyzer are NOT displaying correctly on the 3 Month period (per bar) and 6 Month period (per bar). My indicator settings on the 3 Month period chart only require a look back period of 5 BARS. The indicator setting in the market analyzer are the same as those on the corresponding chart period.

I notice that if I set the Market Analyzer ''# of BARS to look back'' to 200 then all my indicator values display correctly in Market Analyzer 3 Month period column and 6 Month period column?

3) Question - Why does it work when I set the ''# of BARS to look back'' to 200, when the indicator only requires a look back period of 5 BARS?

4) Question - If the period is set to 3 month Bars (see attached screenshot), and the ''# of BARS to look back'' is set to 50 (default), my understanding tells me that the 50 BARS refers to 50 X 3Monthly BARS - each BAR being approximately 90 days?
Is the Market Analyzer using MONTHLY data for the calculation (50 X 3Monthly BARS), or does the Market Analyzer use DAILY data (90 days per 3Month BAR) for the calculations?

5) Why is the default ''# of BARS to look back''of 50 BARS not enough if indicator requires 5 BARS look back?

6) Does the Market Analyzer parameter ''# of BARS to look back'' need to be the SAME as the chart properties parameter - Data - Load data based on ''BARS'' amount?

7) Does it mater if the chart properties parameter is ''Load data based on ''BARS'' OR ''Load data based on ''DAYS'' ?

8) Is there not a concern about setting the look back period to 200, in terms of performance issues?

ahonepewafafo
08-18-2016,
It appears that you are using a version of T3?

Inter alia, T3 is based on the EMA(), which is an infinite impulse response (IIR) filter. Whereas it is possible to analytically, and rigorously, determine when residual effects from the starting value of an IIR become negligible, it is usually simpler to just specify an early enough starting index to ensure that the results are stable at your point of interest.

akigurulo
08-19-2016,
Thank you for the reply, but it went right of my head. The T3 is just one indicator I use. I use 3 indicators in the Market Analyzer. They all work well on the lower time frames i.e. hours and minutes. Please could someone answer my previous questions.

akvukinaajqo
08-20-2016,
Math is math. That is the response to every one of your questions. There is no getting around it: if you use an IIR, you will have residuals. Every price-based indicator is just math on price. There is no getting around the math.