PDA

View Full Version : Saved Drawings in Ninja8 Tabs

CatherineD
06-19-2016,
I am trying to find ways to save charts on which I have input considerable work rather than have to create them in each trading session. I think only one workspace at a time can bel loaded - is this correct?

Assuming yes, then I need to manage workspaces as effectively as possible. In NT8, if I create multiple tabs and each tab has its own instrument with instrument-specific drawings like price levels or pitchforks, if I save this multi-tabbed chart as a workspace, will all drawing and instrument specific settings (e.g.template applied to that tab) be saved in that workspace? When i reload the workplace will the chart be complete with the tabs created or will these have to be created each session?

How does this affect start-up times? If I have multiple tabs and indicators applied in each tab will that profoundly affect start up - or will it only load each open tab as selected?

Charlesmr
06-21-2016,
You can have multiple workspaces open at one time, the open workspaces will have a green indicator next to their name when accessed via the Workspaces drop-down menu of the Control Center. Drawing objects and chart windows along with there tabs are saved as part of the workspace. See below for more on workspaces.

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...sub=workspaces (https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/en-us/workspaces_menu.htm?zoom_highlightsub=workspaces)

This can be accomplished by saving a chart template.

Chart properties, chart panel properties, and indicator settings can be saved as a Chart Template.

CHoto
06-23-2016,
To do this, right click on the chart and select Templates > Save As... You can name the template anything you would like (I recommend something that will remind you of the function of the template). Press OK to save the template.

Now, when opening up a new chart, you can recall your saved settings by selecting the template from the top right of the Data Series window, or on an open chart right click > Templates > Load...

Below, I've included a link to our Help Guide on Chart Templates.

cmuznnxz79
06-24-2016,
Eric - Thank you for responding. I was not aware I could open multiple workspaces in the same trading session so that is very helpful. That gives new possibilities. I still have a few remaining questions to make me a more effective / efficient Ninja user, so let me put them in list form for when you have time to respond:

1. I am quite familiar with Templates and use them quite often. Is it correct that templates do not save drawings nor specific time settings on a chart but will save indicators, backgrounds, etc.
2. It is very time consuming to re-draw drawings that may remain in effect over many, many sessions - Supp-Resist lines etc. Is it correct that workspaces - unlike templates - will save time settings and chart drawings of anything open in that workspace when saved?
3. If I typically trade about 16 instruments. In Ninja 7, there are no tabs, so would it be less resource intensive and streamline start-up times to simply save a workspace per instrument and then one each as I trade each instrument rather than open them all at once?
4. Trading 16 instruments might also might meaning Ninja 8 - since it has tabs - i could save a workspace but dedicate tabs to each instrument rather than have a workplace full of many instruments or individual instrument workspaces.
5. If I save a workplace in Ninja 8 with one (or more charts) in the workspace and each chart has multiples drawings in each tab, when I save the workspace and re-open the workspace and related tabbed charts after many days later, will the drawing still be intact or will I have to re-create them?

corpodeJepe
06-24-2016,
Hello AlphaOptions,

Thank you for your post,

Yes, you're correct, drawing objects are not saved as part of the chart template. Chart properties, chart panel properties, and indicator settings can be saved as a Chart Template.

Drawing objects are saved as part of the workspace so as long as the chart is open when the workspace is saved, it will be there upon relaunch.

You're correct, you could alternate using Tabs rather than using a separate workspace for each instrument. I suggest testing out these items to see which would work best for you. I suggest also to reference our Performance tips (linked below) so you can help keep your workspaces as CPU-friendly as possible.