PDA

View Full Version : Why is charting so slow with IB?

Brendapt
06-13-2016,
It takes me over a minute to load a chart using my Interactive Brokers data feed. The same chart only takes 1 second if I use my TD Ameritrade data feed.

Why is this?

Calvinpync
06-14-2016,
Once historical data is loaded in NinjaTrader, it is saved automatically. I assume you did not delete historical data between testing the two broker connections. So when you connected to TD Ameritrade, NinjaTrader did not need to load the same amount as most of the requested data was present in NinjaTrader. Please see the link below under 'When does NinjaTrader load historical data?' for more information.
http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...rical_data.htm (http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/historical_data.htm)

If you create a chart for a similar instrument for which you did not load data before, do you experience a longer loading time than 1 second?

Carolyntig
06-15-2016,
I am having the exactly same issue...and I think it can't be related with historical data or hardware... - when using NT offline, the historical data is loaded really fast - the problem starts with going online with IB and syncing...

So I totally have to agree with this. Its really horrible slow to use IB Connection Feed together with ninjatrader (I am using NT8b11). Before when I was using FXCM, everything was smooth and fine. Not sure why the IB Gateway is so horrible slow, because when using their own platform -> TWS, everything is very fast too. So you should definite look into this.

To reproduce just put a few charts on. Reload All historical data and then close NT8. Now load NT8, it should load fast and fine, and once you connect, it really gets slow.... We are talking about 30s+ to 1-2 mins here till you see the final charts again (and I am having a 4.5Ghz Hexacore system with nvidia titan x - so it can't be related to hardware).

ceceliaib4
06-16-2016,
I experience similar loading times with IB Gateway in NinjaTrader 8 on my end. I created 5 charts that request 14 days of Minute data and it took about 2 minutes to finish loading. When I test FXCM, it loads much faster. Different broker technologies can have different loading times.

When you use TWS, do you load historical data in TWS itself or do you connect TWS to NinjaTrader 8?

For future reference, please post any NinjaTrader 8 beta items in the NinjaTrader 8 beta section of the support forum.

CatsnamDok
06-16-2016,
For NT I use the recommended IB Gateway connection and I also tried the direct TWS connection - but both behave the same in regards of speed http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum/images/smilies/frown.png

I am not sure what is causing this, because in TWS itself the loading of chart data etc. is really fast. So it seems NT is handling the API in a bad way?

Also if you don't load any historical data - just connecting to IB and waiting for the charts to update and start working, sometimes takes several seconds to minutes...

Kind regards,

admin
06-17-2016,
Did not understand, because exchange only at the beginning of the session?