PDA

View Full Version : Strategy analyzer giving blank results

BenClimment
06-03-2016,
I'm having problems getting the strategy analyzer to work.

1.) At first it was working correctly, and I was able to simulate orders on the chart. However, it somehow got into a state where the orders were stuck on the chart from a previous run of the analyzer.

For instance, I was using this call: EnterLongLimit(DefaultQuantity, Close[0], "long-entry-signal");

This would plot orders labeled "long-entry-signal" on the chart, but even after I commented out all calls to buy or sell, recompiled and reran the analyzer it still had buy and sell orders labeled "long-entry-signal" on it.

2.) To fix this I saved my workspace, closed NT and restarted it. I tried recreating the strategy and noticed there's a glitch in the UI. When you first open the analyzer, there is no option in the right hand list of options to choose which instrument data to use. It only adds that option after you click on a strategy on the left side of the screen.

Benitosa
06-05-2016,
I was able to get the strategy analyzer to start charting again using Data->Reset Instruments.

Bengerdsnaf
06-05-2016,
It's still not working right. If I do a "Reset Instruments" I am able to run the strategy analyzer and get results back exactly one time. If I change the settings in that analyzer window and run it again, it gives back exactly the same results, no matter what new data or strategy I've selected.

If I open another strategy analyzer window, set it up and run it, I get blank results. I have to do a "Reset Instruments", then close and restart NT 7. At that point I can run the strategy analyzer exactly one time but all other runs will either give blank results or the same results, according to what I described above.

Why is this happening?

BenJepeax
06-07-2016,
Hello,
It sounds that the database is corrupt. I would recommend to create a new database.
You can create a new database by following the steps below.

Shutdown NinjaTrader and Go to the Start Menu
Select My Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> DB--> NinjaTrader.SDF.
Right click on NinjaTrader.SDF and select "Rename." *Name it "OLDNinjaTrader.SDF."
Then restart the software and NinjaTrader will create a fresh database file to use
Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost - ATM Strategy templates, Session templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments, historical trade execution data, saved Strategy Analyzer backtest results

To prevent running into situations where you can potentially lose important data, we advise to run regular backups via our inbuild backup feature in NinjaTrader.

BenlynC
06-07-2016,
Thanks for helping with this. I tried renaming the entire "Documents\NinjaTrader 7" directory to "Documents\NinjaTrader 7 old", then uninstalled NT7 and reinstalled it.

I then added a ZES test instrument and reimported my historical tick data into it.

I can chart the data as shown in the screenshot below on the left, but now no matter what I do I can't get the strategy analyzer to chart it, even after resetting the instruments. It comes up blank whether I set the strategy analyzer to tick or minutes or anything else.

http://postimg.org/image/kf6awjf4z/

It seems to have gotten worse. Is there data somewhere that would survive an uninstall and which is not in the "Documents\NinjaTrader 7" that might be causing the strategy analyzer to fail?