PDA

View Full Version : Divergence

MasterOffpt
03-31-2016,

123 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Divergence
Came across this very interesting thread on elitetrader.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showth...threadid=20761

Do any T2W members implement a similar method for divergence trades?

Any discussion will be appreciated.

MatveyOpn
04-02-2016,
Divergence
fazalv started this thread As this link is over 100 pages long, i will try to summarise his method:

The setup:
My signals all come from the SP market (not emini). I don't know if they'd be exactly the same. I don't see the noisey spikes in the pit prices so that's what I use. I execute all trades in the Emini which is usually within .25 of the price I see on the SP contract. If not, I pass on the trade. My screen uses 5 min. bars using only day session data. My time is set to Chicago time so all times on the charts are Central time. I have three indicators on my screen. The first is the Keltner Channel with 20 period and 2.5 ATR's (average true range) based on the close. The second is the Chaikin Oscillator using Volume, 3 for the Fast and 10 for the Slow. The third is a 14 period ADX. My window is set to 8 bar spacing.
Attached Thumbnails
divergence-setup.gif

melbocchiprq
04-02-2016,

123 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
fazalv started this thread The basic method is pretty simple. It gives me plenty of warning of a upcoming trade so I know when to get down to business.
The setup requires three basic things. 1). The ADX indicator must be over 30. 2). The Chaikin Oscillator must be showing divergence from the price. 3). The price must be near or outside the Keltner Channel.

Usually price is not a problem. I just added it as a rule to avoid taking bad risk/reward trades.

Once these 3 conditions are met, the trade is executed after the first full bar that doesn't set a low/high in the direction of the trend. I use the open of the second bar to base my slippage estimates. Sometimes I get better fills and sometimes I'm off by .5. They seem to balance out over time.

The amount of risk per-contract is determined by subtracting the high from the low of the Keltner Channel at or near the time of the trade. Then 1/3 of this number is used as the stop loss amount. For example, if the Keltner Channel is 12 pts. from low to high, then the stop loss would be 4 points. I risk 2% per trade, so if I have 100k then .02*100,000 = $2,000 risk per-trade. The number of contracts would then be 2,000/200 (4*50) or 10 contracts

Maxwelltite
04-03-2016,
Thanks for drawing this to our attention fazalv. Have you got any other examples of positive signals that you can post? Presumably there are plenty on elitetrader.com ?

Roger(M)

http://www.wehanghere.com

Michaelboon
04-05-2016,
RogerM,

This journal had the highest win rate (an obscene 70%) out of the recent ones I came across on Elite.

The dude went on to say:

With this method along with some advanced stuff I've added, I've taken a 25k account to over 200k in about a year and a half. I trade with 2% of my capital risked per-trade. I've had more than 10 winners in a row and I've had more than 10 losers in a row. Overall this method has given me a larger profit than loss on each trade and a 70% win rate. I only get 1-2 trades a day on average, so if you're a scalper this is not the journal for you.

Hope this helps!

I will post some actual trades at a more godly hour!