PDA

View Full Version : Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

amediaduM
03-10-2016,
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out which route to go to take a shot at making consistent money trading. I've been reading a lot of these posts here, and basically it seems like there are quite a few opinions on how NOT to make money. For instance: day trading-no way 'cause your computer/system/execution/bankroll etc... can't compete with the big boys & market makers; buying a canned system (i.e. "AbleTrend")-no way, 'cause if it was that simple everyone would be doing it, or, too expensive and trend following using EMA MA's is just as good & a lot cheaper; using " 'bots " for a fully automated system-no way, Star Treks' Mr. Data would have a hard time designing a good one;

And on and on and on...

So everyone, is ANYONE making money, and how?

I'm thinking a swing trading time frame, to help eliminate the execution headaches with active intraday trading; seems like it has become a high stakes video game rather than a exercise in strategic thinking. Options maybe?

Thanks in advance for your input!

AnthonyGow
03-11-2016,
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?
Welcome to t2w.
Have a look at the thread linked in my signature.
Read thoroughly then test it for yourself extensively over a period of time BEFORE starting to use it live with real money and small position size.
Richard

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/

arupictb11
03-13-2016,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander1 View Post
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out which route to go to take a shot at making consistent money trading. I've been reading a lot of these posts here, and basically it seems like there are quite a few opinions on how NOT to make money. For instance: day trading-no way 'cause your computer/system/execution/bankroll etc... can't compete with the big boys & market makers; buying a canned system (i.e. "AbleTrend")-no way, 'cause if it was that simple everyone would be doing it, or, too expensive and trend following using EMA MA's is just as good & a lot cheaper; using " 'bots " for a fully automated system-no way, Star Treks' Mr. Data would have a hard time designing a good one;

And on and on and on...

So everyone, is ANYONE making money, and how?

I'm thinking a swing trading time frame, to help eliminate the execution headaches with active intraday trading; seems like it has become a high stakes video game rather than a exercise in strategic thinking. Options maybe?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Highlander1,

Welcome to Trade2win.

Traders are making money across all time frames, with automated bots and otherwise. However typically most traders have only one or two styles they focus on, for example i am a purely mechanical day trader. However i will never say it is not possible to trade in other ways as clearly many people make money with completely different methods from mine.

Swing trading is a good style of trading for most people, and if this style of trading fits your personality and objectives then it will be right for you too.

Hopefully some of the expert swing traders here can give you some good advice on how to start out. Although trading is very personal. Your way of profitable swing trading is likely to be unique to you. But you can use ideas developed by others to build your own trading plan. These ideas can all be found freely on the internet or from trading books.

There many snake oil vendors lurking on trade2win, they disguise themselves as profitable traders but they are really out to con newbies with worthless courses, seminars, systems or coaching (which is how these charlatans really make their living).
Typically the crap they peddle will reveal nothing more than anyone cant find freely on the internet or from reading the best trading books.
Last edited by donaldduke; Jan 2, 2010 at 12:58pm.

arkeyuhejapej
03-13-2016,
Hello Highlander,

There are MANY ways to make money in the markets! In this forum you will find profitable strategies! All is right in front of you, BUT you have to invest time and trade it with small money to find out if it suits you. Maybe you work the full day, so there is no way to daytrade. Maybe you have a part time job and its possible to daytrade. Find a strategy that suits your life!

Every system you learn WILL make losses, dont change the system because of that. Losses are part of the game, again, focus! There is no easy way, find yours and make money.

In general: The trading system is not the problem. You have to learn how to overcome the human nature, your emotions. There are many profitable systems, but only a few profitable traders.

Good luck, it is a process to become a trader.

aowiukalu
03-13-2016,
Just approach it as you would a start up business.. there is initial outlay, research, steep learning curve and so on. If you think you're going to become rich overnight, you'll risk too much.