PDA

View Full Version : First post; been a member for a while now.

Glatilliawmal
03-07-2016,
I waited quite a while to post.

I am interested in futures trading. I have been sim trading for about a year now trying to find something that works for me. I started using Think or swim and attempting to sim trade crude oil. I had no clue and tried a whole lot of technical indicators. Some of them actually worked occasionally. I figured out that crude oil wasn't for me and technical indicators are not "all that".

I started noticing people talking about orderflow and volume profile. I decided to learn about that and purchased a copy of Ninja, Jigsaw tools and the Rancho Dinero program. (I am not affiliated with anything mentioned. I didn't use the Gomi tools because of my intellectual limitations with software. Rancho seemed like it would be easier for me to implement)

I have been sim trading the 6E euro futures. I have tried the ES and bonds but they are too slow for me. I primarily use the Volume ladder, Volume profile and the reconstructed tape from Jigsaw as well as the DOM. I do have one oscillator on a second chart as a "crutch". On that secondary chart I am using a three tick Renko chart with the VWAP channel and a volume profile.

What seems to work for me is seeing large volume at the top or bottom of the volume ladder with no follow through. I get in and enjoy the stops being hit in the opposite direction.

I have spent quite a bit of time with the volume impression chart (Footprint, ladder or whatever you want to call it) and it is starting to tell me a story.

I have started becoming consistent in sim trading. I have an account set up and funded. My questions are this:

1) How many months of consistent sim trading before going live?
2) What can I expect in the real world? I know I am getting unrealistic fills in the sim trading. Should I expect half of what the sim account is producing? 75%?

GMcknight
03-07-2016,
Wartrace View Post
I have started becoming consistent in sim trading. I have an account set up and funded. My questions are this:

2) What can I expect in the real world? I know I am getting unrealistic fills in the sim trading. Should I expect half of what the sim account is producing? 75%?

Hi @Wartrace

You are at a good start here.
First you need a trading plan and second a good money management plan (stops et al).
Of course SIM is not to compare with real money. (nerves, normal trader's faults etc. etc.)
So do not expect ANYTHING of the results you made in SIM.
But start slowly with a low percentage of money in the risk and see what happens.
Good trades!
GFIs1

greatu
03-09-2016,
Wartrace View Post

set your sim balance to the same balance of your live account, if you plan to trade 1 contract in live account then trade 1 contract in sim account, keep the trading plan identical, keep the physical location and environment identical. Remember to add comm fee you have to pay and to make it even harder than live uncheck enforce imm fill. Given all those conditions above then if you have 3 positive months then you are ready the rest is just your own nerves never the market.

Attached Thumbnails
First post; been a member for a while now.-2015-01-25_1115.png First post; been a member for a while now.-2015-01-25_1116.png

Hamlaroa
03-11-2016,
Thank you for the advice. I know trading live is going to be mentally a lot different than fake money. I think my personality is going to be a benefit since I am not overly emotional.

Sim trading HAS TO BE a lot easier than live trading because the results I am getting are just not in line with some of the journals I have reviewed here on Big Mikes. Same thing when I look at the people that passed Top Step traders combine. I know I am not that great at it yet.

I am glad you suggested the tweeks to my setting Cory. Makes sense to set my sim account balance to my live balance. I had already unchecked the immediate fill box. I do plan on only one contract and have been trading one in sim.

My trades generally only last a few minutes. I am using a six tick stop with a 12 tick target although if the trade looks like it might have more upside/downside I will adjust the target. I move my stop up/down (depending if I am long or short) as the trade develops but never change the initial 6 tick potential loss.