PDA

View Full Version : Platform alternative to thinkorswim

eetuwek
02-26-2016,
Hello,

I'm just getting involved in trading. I've "invested" for a long time, but I'd like to get more involved in swings or shorter term trades. I've been trying out ThinkorSwim since I have my account with TD, but I'm finding it not the most user friendly. I'm sure a lot is just lack of experience with it, but I'm wondering if anyone can suggest an ideal platform or if ToS is fine. One thing I notice in ThinkorSwim is the charts are sometimes squished, no matter how I adjust the size, it just doesn't give me nice looking candle sticks. Also, the level 2 display is somewhat confusing, I've seen some screenshots of others (etrade) and it seemed much easier to understand.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

ejoutosib
02-26-2016,
Try going to the little gear (chart setting) then under the "price axis" tab look at the "scale" setting and make sure it is set for "auto". If that's not it I would have to see what the problem is to understand. For level 2...there are several ways to set it up...the easiest for me is shown below. I set this up in the "charts/Flexible grid" tab and the little boxes below can be set up to be any "gadget" you want.

emiuqam
02-27-2016,
thanks for showing your setup, I'm going to have to play around some more. I did find some Youtube videos that were really helpful also, your 100% right, I think it's just a matter of taking more time to learn all of the customization options. I also found that their chat support is really good, I was really surprised when I got a quick response and was spot on.

EvelynJHXoi
03-01-2016,
I also have customized it to show shares traded at what price...this is where I usually place my stock orders from just by clicking in the price I want and it auto sends the amount of shares I set above....also shows P/L at diff price levels. 3. T&S (times and sales) shows orders that have gone through at what price and how many shares and whether it was a sell or a buy. 4. level 2 ....shows best offer from each exchange and how many shares at that price....if you select the little triangle next to the word "level II" you can see full book for NASDQ and BATS/EDGE. 5.