PDA

View Full Version : Im a little confused on stocks

gwjgzlfu86
02-08-2016,
Greetings, I am new to investing well im just reading about stocks and etc.

My questions may sound dumb, but I am confused
I know stocks rise when people buy, and fall when people sell.

But if one person buys 100,000 shares of a stock, will that stock price rise dramatically from that person buying the 100,000 shares?

I think a good example will be if an investor bought 500,000 shares of apple when it was starting to go up, who bought the shares priced at $199.25
Apple's stock (AAPL) keeps going up (now 355.65).

So if that investor was to sell all his 500,000 shares of stock, then would apple's price drop?

Does this also go the same if the majority stock holder was to sell most of his shares as well?

huhfartp30
02-10-2016,
I am a novice trader/investor but I'd assume it would have to consider the ratio of the 500,000 shares with the overall amount of outstanding shares, keep in mind tens of millions of dollars are switching hands every hour. Would love to hear from someone who is a lot more experienced.

Side note: You would be loving life right now, if you caught on to Apple in the i-boom. (When ipod's took over the world)

HaroldTib
02-10-2016,
True that, and the dot com bubble as well.

HerbertKt
02-11-2016,
Speaking for myself, I've never given much thought to the correlation between buying/selling and stock price because, for me, it doesn't help make money.

If somebody wants to sell x shares at y dollars and somebody wants to buy x shares at y dollars then the price for those x shares is y dollars. That's pretty much it.

What are you trying to figure out?

Best regards.

ihgrssca93
02-13-2016,
The stock market can be a very tricky place and you have to be careful because your playing with the big boys at all times. Yes, buying interest will make the market rise but so can a short squeeze. Basically the big boys are covering there short interest which will make the market rise (usually for a short time), in most cases the market continues to fall after this short rise. The guys that can move the market take advantage of this and without knowing what your doing (if your a trader) can hurt. Investing is another story, id suggest you stick to that.