PDA

View Full Version : Strategies and signals excel

JOHNNY
01-22-2016,
Hi

I have seen several front ends such as meta trader and ninja trader, does anyone produce strategies and signals in excel, if not why not?

If there was a competition with large cash prizes would people do strategies and signals in excel or convert there meta trader or ninja trader logic to excel based signals?

Thanks

Johntwex
01-23-2016,
As someone that's been programming for 27 years, I can give a fairly educated opinion.

Excel is sh1t.

Thank you....

Seriously - with platforms out there that give you commands and structure for development, you'd have to be completely crazy to do it in Excel. I've seen people spend weeks doing stuff in Excel that you could do in Tradestation in a few hours.

RIght tools for the job is what it comes down to and Excel is a terrible tool for strategy development.

Jornhex
01-24-2016,
You're right about that!

Although I do use Excel for my real-time Dashboard. Not much VBA required except for alarms.

Jonah
01-24-2016,
I see nothing wrong with using excel, it all depends what you are trying to do. I have higher level packages, but still use excel sometimes, for example, am currently experimenting neural networks and rather than invest straight away in a high level program, have initially bought a simple excel add-in. This allows me to start some simple testing and get familiar with the idea.
Alot of strategies can be configured into excel, in addition, there are add-ins for configuration of montecarlo testing etc (although I haven't tried them as I have other packages do this).
CR

JosephCete
01-25-2016,
Excel can never do what good charting software can do.