PDA

View Full Version : Trading Places

idixuzse
01-10-2016,
In this crowd-pleasing 1983 comedy of high finance about a homeless con artist who becomes a Wall Street robber baron, Eddie Murphy consolidated the success of his startling debut in the previous year's 48 Hours and polished his slick-winner persona.
The turnabout begins with an argument between super-rich siblings, played by Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche: Are captains of industry, they wonder, born or made? To settle the issue, the meanies construct a cruel experiment in social Darwinism. Preppie commodities trader Dan Aykroyd (perfectly cast) is stripped of all his worldly goods and expelled from the firm, and Murphy's smelly derelict is appointed to take his place, graduating to tailored suits and a world-class harem in record time. Eventually the two men team up to teach the nasty old manipulators a lesson, cornering the market in frozen orange juice futures in the process.
Director John Landis (The Blues Brothers) doesn't have the world's lightest touch, but he hits most of the jokes hard and quite a few of them pay off. Trading Places is also a landmark film for fans of Jamie Lee Curtis.

Ihxmqhw
01-11-2016,
Best trading movie ever

Finest introduction to shorting you could imagine. I still look fondly at FCOJ futures, and think about 'the crop report'. The only flaw is that Winthrop and Valentine had left Duke & Duke, so they would not have had credit facilities to trade on margin, and the volatility on FCOJ futures has never been so extreme.

But funny, wow! One of the best lines was apparently ad-libbed by Eddie Murphy, when he tries to chat up a woman whilst acting as a limbless veteran beggar. When she rejects him he says "I know what you're thinking, you seen Porgy and Bess" (http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/t/trading-places-script-transcript-murphy.html).

Ilonahony
01-12-2016,
Almost 30 years have passed and it became 'The trading classic'! what a movie! I love it, funny a must see movie!

Jonnyhok
01-14-2016,
A classic movie covering a plethora of controvertial issues in an entertaining way. I watched this move when I was at Junior School and I'm convinced this had something to do with my early facinationtion with the world of trading.

Joshuamn
01-16-2016,
Everyone Loves this movie! If you havent seen it by now you need to rent it. I think it may even be available in Netflix by now. Go check it out as it is a must see!