PDA

View Full Version : New to stocks - Got some technical questions

Aqndionlj
10-19-2015,
Hey guys, I come humbly before you as a newborn baby to trading. I'm doing research right now to figure whats going on and I had a couple technical questions.

*Is there an app or an automated way to be updated on stock prices to the second? To automatically buy/sell a stock once it reaches a certain price. If so, how would differ from limit orders?

I've been reading about market order and limit orders+bidding. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a market order you can buy/sell instantly at the price you see and on limit order+bidding there is some kind of "people's market" where you have to haggle/wait for someone to buy.

*Are all companies open to the instant buy/sell process of market orders. If not how can I tell?

*I've signed up for tradeking which offers a trade commission of $4.95. I've noticed that there is another company coming up that offers $0 trade commission called "Robinhood". Unfortunately it's not available yet to me yet, but is there another company out there that offers that kind of trade commission?

That pretty much sums it up. Thanks!

aqaqayi
10-20-2015,
Hi @rorygilmoreirl.. I was just going through all the various forums and noticed no one replied to you yet. I wont be able to answer your last part but for the first 3 parts here goes..

*Is there an app or an automated way to be updated on stock prices to the second? To automatically buy/sell a stock once it reaches a certain price. If so, how would differ from limit orders?
Usually, the broker that you sign up with to do you trading either allows a DMA(Direct Market Access) with live prices and with some markets that they have a delayed pricing feed. Your 2nd segment of this question is related to your 2nd question actually

I've been reading about market order and limit orders+bidding. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a market order you can buy/sell instantly at the price you see and on limit order+bidding there is some kind of "people's market" where you have to haggle/wait for someone to buy.

Yes Market Order will hit the market the moment you put it out so you would have to be careful on this unless you really want that stock whereas like you say, limit orders is only when the market has reached the levels you want that allows it to be hit. So this would answer your first question 2nd part. What you say about is actually limit order.

*Are all companies open to the instant buy/sell process of market orders. If not how can I tell?

This is regardless of companies. The exchange behaves that way. As long as there are willing sellers and buyers of that stock, you can always do a Market Order(MO). This is called liquidity of the stock. Most large capitalisation companies have enough liquidity that you can do MO

http://stockchimp.blogspot.com

atsahqin01
10-20-2015,
Rory,

Think of the stock market as a used car lot. You can find a car selling for $10,000. The car dealer bought that car for $9000. He gets a markup/profit of 1000. Now if you want to buy the car at market price, he will sell it for you for 10,000 and you can drive away. That's the market order. However, we both know that he would sell that car to you for 9700 if you asked nicely. That's a limit order.

If you want to sell him an identical car, he would buy it in a heartbeat for 9000. But I expect if you haggled a bit, you could get him to give you 9300. That's a limit order.

You buy at the Ask price. You sell at the Bid price. But there are always a few pennies of play in there. And with options, there are always a few nickles or dimes to get.

Always use limit orders unless you need to get out of a stock quickly or the Bid/Ask spread is only a few pennies.

My new book is now available on Amazon. It teaches you my favorite trade for beginners. The pros use the same trade every day. Or, if you'd like a free quick summary of what's in the book, you can get it here.

Check out Stock Market Insurance Trader at http://bit.ly/SMITbooka.
“Everything you need to know is laid out plain as day in a simple to understand way. It’s so simple it’s BRILLIANT!”
“Highly recommend this text for someone who is new to options.”
“Simple to read, understand and apply.”

Avtvivzt
10-20-2015,
rorygilmoreirl said: ↑
*I've signed up for tradeking which offers a trade commission of $4.95.
Man, $4.95 is way too much. You should search better!
Check out these too: http://www.tradestation.com/en
https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/main.php
Good luck

azoduwez
10-21-2015,
Think I will stick with Scottrade. Tradestation says
Flat–Fee Trading2
$4.99

per trade (200 or more trades/month)

$5.99

per trade (100 — 199 trades/month)

$6.99

per trade (30 — 99 trades/month)

$7.99

per trade (10 — 29 trades/month)

$9.99

per trade (1 — 9 trades/month)

With what I do with Scottrade (about 600 trades per year) I will stick with them as I got a flat price with my account.