PDA

View Full Version : New to Investing.

ahonepewafafo
10-13-2015,
Greetings! I am new to investing, and was looking for a bit of advice. I have been trying to invest about $200 a week, which i know is not a lot, but it is what I can currently afford. I have an etrade account which is a Roth IRA. I have realized that I seem to be making a mistake in buying stock with such a small amount at a time because thy charge you 9.95 a transaction. Am I better to just save the money in my Roth account without investing until I get a bigger amount saved up? Any advice would be great. Here is the portfolio thus far.

asayowonarufu
10-14-2015,
Ye man...the fees are killing you. Even if you used a cheap broker just buying a couple of shares at a time will kill your P/L. Even for me trading options at 1.50 per lot a vertical spread costs 6$ round trip and that goes into consideration on whether or not the trade is worth it.

Anabelinapam
10-14-2015,
dramaguy11 said: ↑
Am I better to just save the money in my Roth account without investing until I get a bigger amount saved up?
Yes, just save up for now. T.D. Ameritrade charges me $10 per trade, so if I can't afford at least 1000 shares, then I don't trade.

Alfredokivy
10-14-2015,
Kenpolean said: ↑
Yes, just save up for now. T.D. Ameritrade charges me $10 per trade, so if I can't afford at least 1000 shares, then I don't trade.
Create an account w/ dough.com using your TDA username and password, then call your LOCAL broker rep and tell them you have a dough account and would like the fee reduction. They will reduce your stock fee to 7.50...sometimes less...and any option trade to a flat 1.50 per lot. That'll save you at least 5$ on every round trip.