PDA

View Full Version : Does one learn trading through experience or through research/reading?

abidicefajoj
09-26-2015,
Hey!
I'm new to this forum and to trading.
I read a few books on trading stocks so I thought I might buy some. It all seems very intersting. I've played with the virtual/simulator games before so I sort of understand how things work.
But anyway, there are a ton of books on trading that I probably should read. I've read The Little Book that Still Beats the Market and some books by Peter Lynch. I'm in the middle of reading A Random Walk Down Wall Stret and The Intelligent Investor. However, I want to just try it. I think that I might learn more from actually experiencing what's it like to trade, but at the same time I want to be prepared by absorbing as much information as I can get from books. Also, the books often have contrasting advice and it's difficult to decide what advice is the most sound, but I think that is something i will have to find out for myself.

Anyway, do you think it's better that I just go for it? Or should I read a bit more and do some more research? I admit that I fear being on the wrong side of the market, but I know that everyone loses from time to time and so I might as well just go for it. I do know how to read balance sheets and etc (I read a few chapters out of an accounting textbook) and I understand some basic ideas about stock values. Advice? And if you want, how did you get into trading? What was your first trade?

Thanks.

I apologise if this thread is irrelevant, in the wrong section, repeated before, etc.