PDA

View Full Version : Variables For Stock Picking

Blaine Tarr
09-06-2015,
Good afternoon to everyone,

I am a student of Engineering from the Politecnico di Torino and I am authoring my final paper. It deals with data visualization applied to the stock market.

Which do you think are the most important variables to take into account while performing stock picking?

Thank you a lot in advance!

bqjklela26
09-07-2015,
This is like the third time you've started a thread asking this same question. This isn't really the most active forum and not only that you have little to go off of that the people here are even actually trading. It might be a good idea to send an e-mail out to some investment firms and hedge funds or something (only once mind you) with a quick poll or survey. A lot of people might probably be willing to help you out so long as it doesn't take up a great deal of their time.

I'm still learning to trade but am finding heat maps useful. I wonder about the scale of default charts on websites like Marketwatch and how they effect peoples trading decisions. Like for example PGH this morning the chart had lower numbers that the stock never touched today but maybe there were a few people that it made percieve that the stock would wind up lowering in price. Or, if like red and green for up and down possibly impact peoples trading emotions more than say something like yellow and purple. Or, if turning a chart upside down and making up a down trend and down an up trend, how something like that might influence perception, emotion, and thus profitability.

BTPK
09-08-2015,
HungryWallet said: ↑
This is like the third time you've started a thread asking this same question. This isn't really the most active forum and not only that you have little to go off of that the people here are even actually trading. It might be a good idea to send an e-mail out to some investment firms and hedge funds or something (only once mind you) with a quick poll or survey. A lot of people might probably be willing to help you out so long as it doesn't take up a great deal of their time.

I'm still learning to trade but am finding heat maps useful. I wonder about the scale of default charts on websites like Marketwatch and how they effect peoples trading decisions. Like for example PGH this morning the chart had lower numbers that the stock never touched today but maybe there were a few people that it made percieve that the stock would wind up lowering in price. Or, if like red and green for up and down possibly impact peoples trading emotions more than say something like yellow and purple. Or, if turning a chart upside down and making up a down trend and down an up trend, how something like that might influence perception, emotion, and thus profitability.
Thnk u a lot for ur answer. I would only like to precise something: it is true that is the third time that I am writing here, but this time the question has been completely different. Maybe my english has not been so clear so far, and I am sorry for this. Indeed my question was not about data visualization this time, but it was much more focused on which financial measures are used by traders for the stock picking (e.g. p/e ratio, percentage change during the day/week/month, market cap, etc.).

I thank u a lot for the advices about data visualization and the aspect related to the scale of default charts, tht sounds to me really interesting and tht for sure I will take into account in my analysis. Also the idea about sending a quick poll to investment firms is very good. I did not think to this before, because here in Italy, where I am living now, companies are not so willing to answer "external" questions. And very often you neither can contact them in anyway.

Having said this, often I am writing here because I found this forum more active than others.

I would like to steal again some minutes of your time, just in order to understand if you think tht some financial variables are more interesting to take into account than others. And, also if you know if there are other forums more related to trading.

Thank you a lot again.

bunnyhodep
09-10-2015,
Maybe my english has not been so clear so far, and I am sorry for this. Indeed my question was not about data visualization this time, but it was much more focused on which financial measures are used by traders for the stock picking
Well, now a feel a little bit like a jerk.

Also the idea about sending a quick poll to investment firms is very good. I did not think to this before, because here in Italy, where I am living now, companies are not so willing to answer "external" questions. And very often you neither can contact them in anyway.
I think if this was going to work the e-mail and the questions would have to look extremely professional and not be at all time consuming or intrusive on the places specific operations. And yeah, most places would probably just ignore and delete the e-mail so you would have to send it to a bunch of different places. Presentation is what I think something like that is all about. If you write something along the lines of…“I am a student of blah blah blah, conducting research related to better understanding and possibly developing alternative methods of economic and capital market visualization. (Insert quick sentence describing what you hope to achieve by this). If you could send this e-mail/survey (however you create this thing) to your traders and if they could take a quick second to fill out this short survey/poll, their input would be greatly appreciated and useful in the development/understanding of blah blah blah.”…some people are bound to want to help you out and you would have, at least somewhat, real data to go off of. You’d have to give them a reason to want to do it though, even if that reason is just being a part of something useful.

Having said this, often I am writing here because I found this forum more active than others… And, also if you know if there are other forums more related to trading.
Yeah there aren’t really too many active trading forums from what I’ve found. People seem to like Stocktwits, but from what I’ve seen its just people making stock picks, no real possibility for discussion.

think tht some financial variables are more interesting to take into account than others.
Every trader is different. One indicator can be all one trader uses, while that same indicator doesn’t catch a second glance from another. I don’t think there is really a good way to answer that question because trading styles can vary so much, but the two factors I think you would encounter the most is price and volume, even then though, if you looked hard enough you could probably find a guy who has a method that exploits low-volume instruments.

which financial measures are used by traders for the stock picking (e.g. p/e ratio, percentage change during the day/week/month, market cap, etc.).

…all these factors specifically, really just depend on the trader and the type of trade they are trying to make.

Can I ask what exactly your paper is about? You say you’re a student of Engineering, so are you hoping to develop something from this eventually?