PDA

View Full Version : Complete newb

arlbbcrc29
09-24-2015,
Greetings.

I'm happy to be here and I hope I'll learn a lot from you and meet some same minded people like me.
As you can see I'm new around here and really interested in trading so I can have some side income besides my 9 to 5 job.
I'm 21 years old economic student and I don't have really big budget for trading. The best I'm willing to invest is 200$ for start. I was thinking of investing small and trying to build my way up.

I'm complete newb and I don't know basics. I was thinking to start learning about stock trading on khanacademy.com to watch some youtube videos to get general,basic idea about this , read forum posts around here and educate myself with some books before I start investing. I don't want to jump to the rope with this since my family is in some rough financial situation right now and I want to help as much as I can.

Anyways I have some questions about this and maybe you can provide some tips or things you learned over the years of trading.

1. Will 200$ be enough for start?
2. If it will be enough , what is your advice on where should I start?
3. What are the best websites to start trading?
4. What are good books you would recommend for me to start educating myself?
5. How much some of you earn? ( I know it's not okay to ask but if anyone wants to share this I'll be happy to hear some answers about how much you can earn by trading )
6. Can you make a deposit with credit/debit card and withdraw over the same credit/debit card?

Thank you for reviewing this post. I have so many questions but these are enough for me to start. I'll search on forum rest of topics that will help me.

4byra6ka_tub
09-24-2015,
I dont want to be a jerk but the answer to every one of those questions exist in these forums already. In fact the "how much do you earn" was recently asked by me so is very very find-able. We're all glad your here too and hope your trading goes very well, but you, us, and many many many other people have asked and answered those exact same questions, and asked and answered, and asked and answered... etc.

This place is a goldmine, not only will you find the answers to all the questions you asked but many other valuable little nuggets of information you didn't even know you needed while you search. Good Luck!

Barchart
09-25-2015,
I recommend practicing in a real time paper trading account. Thinkorswim is my pick and I believe it's probably the most advanced retail trading platform you can find and the paper trading feature is more realistic than any other I have seen. You'll have to create an account with TDA to have access to it but at least its free.

200$ won't give you much practice and you won't have a chance to learn much before it's gone.

There are a bazzillion free videos on youtube about trading. I don't waste my time with anyone claiming they will make you a millionaire or anything that sounds too good to be true....but I eventually found myself drawn to Tastytrade and have they have kept me busy learning for hours a day for over a year now...and it's free.

With a TDA account you can make transfers however you want....and they can issue you a debit card and even a checkbook if you want. You can even deposit a check into your TDA account by taking a picture of it with your phone. It's basically like a bank account that you can trade from once you fund it.

candyfv60
09-25-2015,
I would not recommend starting with $200. You could buy 1 share of AAPL and then sell it, and lose perhaps $10 or more (5%) to commission. You're down 5% on one trade. Do that a few times and you've got $150. With that low a start, commissions will be a high percentage of your assets.

My recommendation is to go work your ass off on a second job till you have a couple thousand and then start. In the mean time, read at the library or book store, learn more at youtube or tasty trade, and paper trade. Come back when you have a decent nest egg and you have 6 months of paper trading behind you.

I like thinkorswim as was mentioned above, but keep in mind that it can be very complex...

My new book is now available on Amazon. It teaches you my favorite trade for beginners. The pros use the same trade every day. Or, if you'd like a free quick summary of what's in the book, you can get it here.