PDA

View Full Version : sell for profit today = get 1099 in April?

Aarroncikk
09-12-2015,
hi, quick simple question, I did try the search function.

I want to sell MSFT for a profit and put that money into BABA. If I do this next week, or before 2015 turns, will I get the 1099 in April 2015? I don't want to file in 2015, so I'd have to sell in after Jan 1 2015 and file it in April 2016? I use Sogotrade if that matters.

ADreattylilt
09-13-2015,
vMy question is what BABA at over a hundred dollars a share. How much money will you have when you sell the MSFT?

AlfredoMl
09-16-2015,
Well we make profit (per share). 100 shares of baba compared to 100 shares of coke will make you 2.64 times more they both only go up one dollar. Let's see baba closed at 111.58 and coke at 42.31 so with coke would make you 2.64 more in a prefect world when they only go up one dollar. Almost "tripple" for coke compared to baba p l u s...baba has no dividend and coke will give you 2.88 percent. Also baba does not even come close to coke for a tract record. Baba has never had a stock split (that I know of) and coke has had several. Coke is used around the world baba is not. Also I can buy 4 thousand shares of coke for instance and it only go up ten cents per share and make 400 dollars profit. I have done this several times in one day. You will not do that with baba. This is just an example as to how I think and why I make what I do in the market. This is in no way to change your mind about what you want to to.

akehuhar
09-16-2015,
Unless you are trading out of an IRA you will have to pay taxes on the profits made from the sell. It doesn't matter if that money is reinvested or just sits in cash. You will still have to pay taxes on it. It will be taxed at what ever tax rate you fall under since it will be a short term transaction (less then one year holding).