PDA

View Full Version : Scalping FTSE/DAX spread betting

HaroldMaip
08-30-2015,
New to the forum, so hello one and all

is this a common trading strategy? Relatively new to spread betting, been doing it for 6 months and am feeling a little more confident. (I realise this comes with time, and experience, both good and bad).
This last 5 days I've been in and out of trades daily, throughout the day and snatched close to 400 points (I've made a lot of short trades, time held from a few seconds to maybe 15 minutes maximum, I'm lucky in that I am desk based at work 95% of my working day. Average this week of 11 trades/bets a day). I still only do the minimum value, ?2 a point with my company.

Is this called scalping? And is it a successful way of spread betting? Genuinely interested.

Like I said, I am new to this, still extremely cautious (I'm a tight git) which I think explains my 'preference' to only have a trade/bet open for a few minutes. At present, I prefer to 'grab' (or scalp, if its called that) a few points/?'s in a few minutes rather than hold on for the longer trades.

Any opinions guys (and girls)?

effiegj11
08-30-2015,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffre4 View Post
lol

www.forexmospherians.com/fugazsy

faOi
08-31-2015,
Yes your scalping..

In terms of popularity I really don't know.

Is it a successful way, who am I to say which way will give you success. In all honesty your the better judge of the success than me you have been trading it after all.

I would give a word a caution to remember risk levels and to build some sort of plan. I also heard that some brokers close accounts for scalpers so that's perhaps worth looking into.

Garry95
09-01-2015,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader333 View Post
Attempting to successfully scalp with a SB company is not possible in my ...
Please excuse the expression of a somewhat dissenting opinion - based on some experience - but in my view that isn't nearly as simple or as categorical as you suggest, Trader333.

Spread-betting companies don't in principle mind your scalping the market, but (understandably) they're not so keen on your scalping them. It therefore depends on whether they're laying off your positions (and/or their own cumulative liabilities) and how efficiently.

As has been fairly extensively discussed here (in this thread among others), it's certainly possible, under some circumstances, to scalp successfully and long-term by spread-betting.