PDA

View Full Version : This News Article on Apple Stock Scared me, But do you think its true?

akaduxau
08-19-2015,
I just bought 10K in apple stock at 111.77. It went up to 113 this week. But now this article came out:

"Colin Gillis of BGC Partners this afternoon reiterates a Hold rating on shares of Apple (AAPL), and a $103 price target, writing that investors should look beyond what will be record-setting results in the December quarter, to several challenges he sees ahead.

Among concerns Gillis lists are that smartphone growth is cooling to the level of the broader phone market (i.e., including dumb phones); Apple is dependent on the iPhone; the market cap is large; the Apple Watch smart wristband may be limited in its success; and the Apple Paypayments system brings in minimal revenue."
From: http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2014/12/30/apple-ample-room-for-a-pullback-says-bgc/

But then I read this article from Forbes that says you should buy it and it could reach near $150 this year:
"Recent profit taking has brought it down to $113, but analysts see the stock shooting as high as $150 this year. Many investors have made the mistake of under-estimating or under-rating the stock – and lost money in the process. Never belttle Apple! It always bounces back when it drops from its high perch. Product innovation will always rule at Apple, which has helped it to remain as the top global stock to play — in 2015 and beyond! "

I cant decide If I should sell right now to get my money back, or hold? I was going to use the money in about a year from now. Im hoping its up by then....Whats your thoughts on apple?

I kinda agree, that there wont be any big launches in the next 6 months or so, there big thing, the iphone 6, already came out, so Im not sure what news there will be to increase the stock in the next year or so. The watch is a dud, and the payment system I hear is a very small amount of revenue compared to their overall revenue.

aiywqexr47
08-19-2015,
I am still paper trading so I can't say I have too much opinion on Apple and you really should take this as a neutral third party perspective with very limited trading knowledge. But, from reading the last part of your post it sounds like you personally agree with the first article. While product innovation may drive Apple, what innovation, other than the watch, are they telling the rest of the market that they are ready to bring to the market in the next 6 months to a year that will drive other investor's interest? I think you should ask yourself if you don't think there might be safer more solid gainers over the next year. I honestly don't know one way or the other, but is technology where stable growth will occur? Why did you choose Apple in the first place? Maybe your plan was right. Maybe it was wrong. Maybe it was launched with unclear reasons and objectives.

What was your plan going into the trade? What was your relative target to exit? It feels to me like you should have a stable enough plan in the trade so that every piece of media isn't raising your blood pressure or bringing you to a point of such uncertainty that you start asking for opinions of your trades on forums after the fact.

I hope that doesn't sound rude. I am just trying to be honest, and like I said, I am still learning so I'm sure all that is easier said than done.

But in general if the trade seems so uncertain or such a cause for concern, then revaluating the objective and possibly taking an alternative course definately seems like it would be worth the time. Or at the very least, not allow emotions to get in the way of whatever plan you had going into the trade.

agvamihuuzo
08-20-2015,
Yeah, no I think Im just over reacting over every negative article I see. Because at the same time they downgraded their price point, Barclays increased it to $140, JMP Securities raised to $135, most are all at a buy or strong buy rating. I chose it in the first place because it was at a low after that big peak in November, and they got a lot of momentum from the iphone 6, And I expected it to continue to grow in 2015. Ill just hold and see

AlfredoMl
08-20-2015,
Yes, this is decent advice.

What was your plan going into the trade? What was your relative target to exit? It feels to me like you should have a stable enough plan in the trade so that every piece of media isn't raising your blood pressure or bringing you to a point of such uncertainty that you start asking for opinions of your trades on forums after the fact.
Always remind yourself why you bought the stock. Never let a single article, news, rating etc sway an impulse buy or sell. If you bought for fundamentals, what changed fundamentally if anything? If you bought based on the chart, then stick to your chart plan.

As for 'just hold and see' keep an exit plan in mind. Sure Apple may be a great company in your eyes, but the stock price is based on buying and selling. What is your risk threshold, how much are you willing to lose? Would your money be better of elsewhere if it starts to pullback? Or if it goes up, what is your target or how much do you let it ride before selling? The fun part is now your in the game, but now what? Get a plan together and stick with it. Always be ready to find new ideas and create new plans. Never fall in love with one stock because its a great company. Enron was once thought to be a great company too...... Just saying, stick to a plan and try to save your emotions in the bedroom....