PDA

View Full Version : What units should I study at university for a career in trading?

aiywqexr47
08-24-2015,
Hey guys,

I’m a university student, studying Finance. I’ve decided that I want to become a trader, not sure about which type (stocks/commodities/forex etc).

BEFORE, someone makes a smart comment about “Trading can only be learnt by trading or on-the-job” or “Just open an account and trade”… I WILL be starting an account and trading slowly.

I need help deciding which units would be MOST beneficial to study, for a career in Trading, either for hedge funds or proprietary firms e.g. Optiver, whom I’ve heard many good things about.

If any professional traders could take a 2 minutes reading the unit descriptions below and suggest in order of importance (1-8) OR top 5 units to study; along with reasons. I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance! :)

ACST201 – Financial Modelling
AFIN270 – Stochastic methods in applied finance
AFIN250 - Investments
AFIN328- Financial Risk Management
AFIN329 - Derivatives Instrument
AFIN331 - Quantitative Modelling in Applied Finance
AFIN353 - Advanced Corporate Finance
AFIN352 - Applied Portfolio Management

agvamihuuzo
08-24-2015,
Financial Modelling - ACST201

This unit explores some basic concepts of finance, in particular: -price; yield; the relationship between price and yield; interest rate risk; reinvestment risk; duration and its uses; volatility; the contingent payments approach; arbitrage pricing theory; pricing forwards; futures and options.

Financial mathematics to analyse transactions involving commonly used financial instruments in the context of the markets in which they are traded.

Stochastic Methods in Applied Finance - AFIN270
This unit provides students with a more detailed insight and understanding of the valuation models introduced in earlier units and includes extensive use of Excel. The unit addresses a number of topics, within which theoretical models are developed and then explored further using Excel. These topics include random walks, martingales, ito calculus, and arbitrage.

Investments - AFIN250
The investment industry has experienced rapid change over the past three decades. Many of these changes in the investment environment are discussed in this unit. An important theme of the unit is that developed markets are near-informational-efficient - that higher expected returns only come by bearing greater investment risk. Throughout the unit a modern portfolio theory approach is applied, focussing on the implications of efficient diversification, in providing a proper measurement of risk and the risk-return relationship. The asset allocation choice is also considered in depth, as it is a primary determinant of the risk-return profile of the investment portfolio. In summary, the unit introduces the principles of valuation as applied to a broad range of asset classes including models of equity valuation, debt valuation, commodities, private equity, and alternative investments such as distressed securities and real estate.