PDA

View Full Version : Why buy more than one share in a stock?

aqaqayi
08-09-2015,
What`s the benefits of buying more than one share in a stock?

cheers

C

ArianaSok
08-10-2015,
Seriously? LOL The ONLY time I've heard of someone buying one share is back in the old days when Disney would send you a stock certificate suitable for hanging. People would buy them for their kids, frame them and hang them in their bedroom.
"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is big enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Expanding Government is America's Biggest Threat!

aqjxrdrq41
08-10-2015,
Right...rather than be sarcastic, I should have told you:

The more shares you own, the greater your leverage and the more money you can make (or lose). In trading, this is one of your top considerations. Think of it like this:

10 SHARES OWNED

The stock moves up 10 cents, you make $1 in profit.

10,000 SHARES OWNED

The stock moves up 10 cents, you make $1000

With your average trade commision of $10 for each buy and sell, it would be dumb to only buy/sell one share. Even if it was an expensive stock like google and you could only afford 1 share, then you shouldn't buy that stock. Generally in trading most people buy a minimum 50 - 100 shares at a time.
"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is big enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Expanding Government is America's Biggest Threat!
Last edited by BadThad; 02-11-2011 at 05:53 PM.

aqebauyec
08-11-2015,
Chances are you would never re-coup yor expenses buying 1 share, commission round trip ( in/out) averages 20 bucks. If your a buy n hold guy then consider a direct share plan that allows you to invest without comm fees. I have several good plans that I can invest as little as 25 bucks a month, all of mine pay nice divs and are locked in the drip plan.

ariuqloqo
08-12-2015,
It all depends on how much money you want to invest and what is the price of the stock. For example if you want to invest 500-700$ you can consider buying one share of GOOG, but you will need to buy much more shares of MSFT. You can think of diversification of your portfolio, but it doesn't make sense to look at your investment through number of shares. You have invested for example 600$, and gain 10% = 60$ - it doesn't matter how much shares you have.

And you will certainly not buy one penny stock