PDA

View Full Version : Any good books to read to learn more?

ngpjfcvj86
07-28-2015,
Hey guys/gals,

My name is Michael. I am new to trading. (2 years is still new to me) I was wondering if there are any valid e-books/hardback to read for the progression of overall knowledge of how the market works. I read a book called ?The Stock Bible?. It was awesome and helped me make quite a bit of money. I have read other books, as well as subscribed to that ?Penny Stock Prophet? alert system. I found little success in it because he alerts everyone too late most of the time.

I teach my children weather with job, personal life, or other, that you can never be educated enough. I have found that most ?stock alert? email systems buy-in, THEN alert everyone else to buy. I want pure education so to speak.

I mostly dabble in the PINK/OTC:BB markets. I am getting tired of books containing ?look for moving stocks, and buy?. That is not education to me. I want to actually be educated. I have only found the one book thus far thestockbible. com. I have read a few others and they provided a few tid-bits of information that were in, collaboration, good. But very few. Mostly just some fly by night authors trying to make a buck.

Seems like most of the authors make their money from the book rather than the application of the methods/techniques/knowledge they sell.
Just wondering if anyone has any other good suggestions please. I am 2 years deep into trading. Just trying to be successful at it. I do great now, but I just want more knowledge.

Thanks,
Michael

nicholasli18
07-28-2015,
I can't recommend any books for you because I've read none on stocks. There's plenty of free material on the web to read, that's what I suggest. However, you can read and read and read until you vomit, but it can only take you so far. A lot of the skill of trading comes with practice and learning from mentors. I was fortunate in that my father was an active, experienced trader....he taught me a lot.

Those penny stock alert news letters are JUNK. Don't even waste your time! They are purely a suckers play to help someone with a "pump n dump" scam. Stocks shouldn't be traded on the advice of others, they should be traded by your own use of fundamental analysis, technical analysis and intuition/commonsense.

Good Luck!
"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is big enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Expanding Government is America's Biggest Threat!

Nickholasscak
07-28-2015,
I read more to more stock books. Any advice on some good volatile stocks that are going up and down in a short period of time that are suitable for quick profits.

Nikotini
07-29-2015,
There are a lot of great eCourses out there, but probably the best book I've read is William O'neil's How to Make Money in Stocks. Bottom line - he studied how the markets actually work and built his strategy from fact not opinion. Good luck with your trading!

nieftkwy71
07-30-2015,
These books should be part of a trader's library.

Fundamental analysis

The intelligent Investor - Benjamin Graham

Technical Analysis :

Technical analysis of stock trend - Edward & Magee
Japanese Candle stick charting technique - Steve Nison

TechoFundamental analysis:

how I made my 2 million Dollars - Nicolas Darvas
How to make money in stock - William J O Neil

Psychology:
Trading for Living - Alexander elder

admin
07-31-2015,
I have read countless books on trading the stock market. I would like to take this opportunity to make a suggested reading list for beginning investors.

Market Wizards: Interviews with Top Traders by Jack D. Schwager
Jack sat down with the top performing investors to find out what they all have in common. It is a very insightful book. This book is at the top of my list.

The other books are as follows in no particular order of importance:
7 Chart Patterns That Consistently Make Money by Ed Downs. This is a very short, yet informative book. Great for beginning traders.
A Complete Guide to Trading Profits by Alexander Perry Paris
How to Make Money In Stocks by William J. O'Neil
Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas. This is a great book about trading psychology, which is one of the most important aspects of trading!
Timing the Market by Curtis M. Arnold
Rolling Stocks by Gregory Witt
Trading with DiNapoli Levels by Joe DiNapoli. This is an advanced book and should be read after you are familiar with patterns, trends and various indicators.
The Trading Method That Can Make You Rich by Roy Kelly (Bad title, but good book)
Tools and Tactics for the Master Day Trader by Oliver Velez and Greg Capra
The Compleat Day Trader II by Jake Bernstein (and no I didn't misspell the title)

I can't express the importance of the knowledge that I have accumulated by reading these books. I like each book for different reasons.

The core concepts I would suggest learning about would include:
Reading charts in respect to spotting and deciphering trends and patterns based on candlesticks. Realize that there is no Holy Grail indicator that will guarantee a stock price is going to go up. However, you can drastically improve your odds by spotting several indicators that are in alignment.
Trading psychology so you can manage your emotions during the trades.
Money management so you can protect your investment account.
Reviewing the fundamentals of companies via their financial statements. It is important to know if a company is financially healthy.

Michael McDonald