PDA

View Full Version : Please explain 68,000 shares purchased after hours without a move in price... Where do these...

eyepefo
07-04-2015,
Looking at the VDSI chart for today, there's a volume bar that shows up 6 seconds after the market closes for 125,000+ shares.. Of that 125K, 68,000 was in a single block.

And yet there was no price action up or down.

How is that possible? Did these shares come from thin air?

Add to this question, I frequently see large volume bars at the close of each day with very little price action in the candle. Can someone explain this?

exuonfgx61
07-05-2015,
What was the bid/ask at the time?

If the stock was at 32.75 and the bid was 32.75, then there would be no price movement if shares were selling at the bid which was also the last price.

eyacakipul
07-05-2015,
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockJock E View Post

What was the bid/ask at the time?

If the stock was at 32.75 and the bid was 32.75, then there would be no price movement if shares were selling at the bid which was also the last price.

I don't know.. i just find it hard to believe that so many shares can trade after hours without some kind of price fluctuation.

exihofor
07-05-2015,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurBob View Post

I don't know.. i just find it hard to believe that so many shares can trade after hours without some kind of price fluctuation.

It can be any number of things including a big broker or exchange moving shares. Its not necessarily a single person buying or selling a big block in AH trading.

exugocodul
07-07-2015,
Thanks SJE. One thing to ask though: if someone buys 68k ($2M worth) of shares in one go, that also means there's a block of 68k+ shares for sale at that time.

MurBob, one thing to be aware of is that most STOCK trading is done by computers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_trading_system - "75% as of 2014")

And one thing computers can do is "frontrunning". I wonder if "dark pools" could also explain MurBob's situation?

When there is a spread between the ask/bid, then who knows what algorithm is used to "determine" the single point price.

There's a lot that can go on and I don't know how to explain it myself. Just know that there are bigger, faster fishes out there.

One thing about institutions that hold stocks. They can hold 5-10 million shares of a stock. 80% of a stock's float can be held by institutions. When an institution wants to open a position in a stock, it can take 2 months to fully establish it. So a lot of trading, it would seem, happens between institutions. So it seems they could work out trades over several stocks, giving up a little (68k of 10M that they currently have) position in one to get a foothold in another. And they hold the price ~constant for each other. "I'll put 70k shares up in stock ABC, if you put 50k shares of XYZ up at the end of the day".