PDA

View Full Version : TN Gal needs some help

bobbyfd60
07-01-2015,
So Ive been trading for close to a year now. Overall, ive done well. But im to the point i need some resource online or a real person that can offer guidance as my portfolio grows. Every thing that seems to have any legitimacy is highly criticized by everyone. So where can I go for this advice? I was comfortable in the beginning but as ive continued to invest and watched my portfolio grow I would like to have a solid source to bounce ideas off. Thanks for any support i get!!!

bpcs9ucv
07-02-2015,
What kind of trading are you wanting to learn about?
There are tons of resources available free on the interwebs. TDAmeritrade has tons of archived seminars, Tastytrade has a whole bunch of information. The list goes on but it would help if you have a particular area of interest.

bnelkdni49
07-02-2015,
Hi, thank you for your reply and input. So my interest is individual stock/etf's. I've been investing for a couple of years. Bought/sold a lot. My primary holdings are aapl, fb, jack, lmt, ba, ihe, and Cost. And I feel like my problem is there is too much information out there. Some is good, some bad, but 99% are just trying to tell you something. I feel like I'm pulled in so many directions..... Everyone everywhere says best to do your own research. This may seem simple for ppl with decades of experience that started investing before the creation of all the "shark" websites that want your money. So my question is......Where do you do your research, you can't go break down the numbers from every public company. Who do you feel gives good advise when advising on good/bad investments?

boroVika
07-03-2015,
Investing advice is a multi billion dollar industry. Everybody pretty much knows where I stand on that....I do no think anyone knows anything...I would expect the rate of success/failure will fall right into the random distribution you would expect to see anywhere else in life only worse for fees and psychology.
Tastytrade/Dough is free and the seminars on Thinkorswim are free...enough to keep me busy hours a day for over a year so far and I'm still learning. Paying someone for advice cost X...learning for yourself is priceless.

And looking at your holdings it appears those are highly correlated...you might as well trade an index.

Happy to help any way I can if you have any other questions...where about in TN are you?

bnlnhpuy99
07-03-2015,
This is what fundamental indicators do. Yahoo finance I know has earnings reports too. Your trading platform should have most of the information you need to make a trading decision. If not; Finviz.com, Marketwatch.com, and Yahoofinance. For ETF’s I use Stockcharts.com

And more so than individual stocks or ETF’s, how have you been trading them? People kinda vary on the way they define the three time-frames but they are:

Day-trade: Intra-day
Swing-trade: More than a day but usually no more than about a month.
Position-trade: Longer than a month or two.

Each is different and requires different considerations and focal points.
There is also Fundamental analysis(good business, good future…etc.) And Technical analysis (Chart reading, stochastic oscillators…etc.) As well as trading methods that combine the two.

I’m with AC in that I won’t really pay to learn. I feel like that might give me a good system to use but I want more than that. I want to know for myself all of the ins and outs and why’s of trading. This requires me to fail a lot while I try to reinvent the wheel, so to compensate for that I do paper trading so my failures won’t put me out on the street. I read everything I can. Then, I contemplate it, a lot. Rinse and repeat. I watch the markets like a hawk, as well as individual tickers to get a feel for how they trade.

I’m still learning and the longer I’m at it the more I realize there is to know (Although not everyone agrees you need to know much). I think you have the fact that you are already trading as an advantage because there is a difference between knowing how to trade, and dealing with the actual psychology of trading, because they are two very different things.

How have you been making your trading decisions so far? Because other than all that stuff...
Who do you feel gives good advise when advising on good/bad investments?
A financial advisor?

admin
07-04-2015,
You had me until...."A financial advisor?"

Oh no....I wouldn't let a financial advisor handle my money even if they promised to pay me the fees they were going to charge me. :)