PDA

View Full Version : Dividends-Elon Musk companies?

JoshuaBrown
08-18-2014,
Does anyone know if any Elon Musk companies pay dividends?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

BlaineTarr
08-18-2014,
His companies are growth stage companies. SCTY & TSLA may eventually offer dividends but it is probably years away. He would rather see the profits re-invested into the company for growth rather than pay shareholders. Which makes sense considering how young TSLA & SCTY are. SpaceX isn't publicly traded yet. I do expect an IPO in the next few years though, but it won't offer a dividend to start either.

Dividends are usually paid by companies with long-term profitable operating histories with sustainable futures. Think Oil companies, Ford Motor Company, Proctor & Gamble, etc.

Take Apple for example. Company has been around for decades. The latest growth spirt over the past decade sparked by the original iPod which was released in 2001. Apple paid its first dividend in 2012..... Growth takes time. Company must build up that extra cash to be okay paying out to shareholders. Don't expect SCTY or TSLA to start paying dividends soon.

JoshuaBrown
08-18-2014,
Thanks Blaine
It?s what I though probable because I Googled around and couldn?t find anything about it.
I think he has great ideas and I?d jump in but I no longer buy anything that doesn?t pay dividends. I bought Lithium and Rare Earth Metals years ago but the just wallow around (China mostly) and have never paid off.