PDA

View Full Version : Finding Stocks

AbnormalReturns
07-17-2014,
Im new to stocks and trading, I started out by learning about trading using methods of technical analysis.
I use stock screeners to identify stocks that meet my particular trading plan for a particular time frame.
Ive asked this before in another thread but it was part of a larger question and I wanted to revisit this part.
Im curious about the screening process you more experienced traders go through in preperation for a week. Whether it be intraday or swing trading, where do you get your stocks from?

Do you have a handful of stocks that you follow and use until it doesnt meet your criteria to trade or are you continuously using new stocks via a screener each day or each week?

AbnormalReturns
07-17-2014,
You want to look for liquidity in whatever market you are trading. It's best to search for high volume and tight spreads (especially for options). Once you trade for long enough, you'll simply know which stocks are trade-able at what point. The rule I've kind of stuck to, if I haven't heard of the company before and I can't vouch for it, I'm not going to bother trading it.

When you narrow down into what you're going to trade, you have to ask yourself a couple of questions. Questions like is it oversold? overbought? Is there news coming out? Is there earnings? What's the IV rank look like? Where do I think the price won't go?

If you get into futures trading, the good thing about futures/commodities is you don't have that many options.

BlaineTarr
07-17-2014,
+1 the above.

But also when looking for something to do I might check out the "all feed" on Stocktwits I can watch that from my phone or computer.

I've pretty much reduced my scanning to "Implied Volatility" and liquidity.