PDA

View Full Version : SNV: Nirvana Unplugged turns twenty

SwingKong01
07-10-2014,
This was a formative record for me, in 1993 I was 16.

It?s twenty years this week since Nirvana?s Unplugged in New York acoustic set came out, the MTV airing and the album, and for my generation it?s still kind of a big deal.

Here?s The Atlantic:

Nirvana?s legendary Unplugged in New York has never really had the chance to be evaluated outside of the canonization of Kurt Cobain that followed his entry into the ?27 Club.? It?s admittedly hard to hear him sing lines like ?I swear I don?t have a gun.? and ?Don?t expect me to die,? without thinking about what would tragically follow, only four months after the performance.

But on the 20th anniversary of the song set?s airing, it?s worth considering the performance as a work of music, not mythology. Because as music, it?s incredible. The band run through a tense and brilliant 14-song set in one scintillating take, something unusual at the time for the popular MTV series, and the result is one of the greatest live albums ever?an unforgettable document of raw tension and artistic genius.

Here?s All Apologies followed by the link to the Andrew Wallace Chamings piece on the album itself:

Read Also:
Nirvana?s Tense, Brilliant Unplugged in New York, 20 Years Later (The Atlantic)