PDA

View Full Version : The Psychological Utility of Technical Analysis

Abnormal Returns
04-20-2014,
Technical analysis is sometimes studied as if it contains a grain of secret knowledge or portrays an intrinsic truth about currency movements. Often it is said that a specific chart formation will produce a specific price movement.

Technical analysis does nothing of the sort. A chart is a reflection of past prices, nothing more. In itself a graph cannot predict future price movements. A currency does not trade up or down because of a formation on a chart. It moves because market participants make basic assumptions about future price behavior based on the record of past price action. A charted history of price action is the cumulative story of thousands of trading decisions; it is a record of the past behavior of thousands of individual traders.

Price information is meaningful only because traders? decisions give it predictive power. A simple proof of the limited forward intelligence of historical price action is the well attested notion that fundamental developments always trump technical analysis. If the Federal Reserve raises rates unexpectedly or the Chinese Government announces it will no longer buy US Treasuries there is no chart formation that has ever existed that will prevent the dollar from rocketing up in the first instance or plummeting in the second.

Technical analysis does not produce price movement. I state the obvious because in the endless attribution of trading cause and effect to ?the market? it is easy to lose sight of the actual composition of the market--thousands of individual decision makers. The translation mechanism for technical analysis runs from the information contained in a chart, through the assessment of that information by market participants to the trading behavior of those individual market participants.

Another way to approach this idea is to ask, just who is the ?market? and what is it trying to accomplish every day. It is likely that much of the $3.2 trillion daily volume in the FX market is speculative. Everyone in the currency market from the hedge fund trader with $1 billion under management, to the euro trader on the Deutsche Bank interbank desk to the retail trader in her study, is trying to do exactly the same thing, take home daily trading profits.

Interestingly, the overall worldwide foreign exchange trading volume in 2007, the year of the last measurement, increased almost 50% from the prior survey in 2004 of $1.9 trillion daily. The counterparty reporting segment to which retail foreign exchange belongs boosted its share of turnover to 40% from 33% according to Bank for International Settlements in Basel (BIS, 2007) which conducts the tri-annual survey.

To return to my previous point, if every market participant is attempting to do the same thing, namely wring trading profits from the day?s activities, how do they all go about it?

The first thing every trader does, in New York, Tokyo, London and in every land in between is to pull up charts and look for trading opportunities. Every trader looking for profit is judging the same charts. Everyone sees the same price history, and everyone identifies the same potentially profitable chart formations. And, in the absence of other factors, the majority of traders will come to the same trading conclusion based on the observed chart formations.

If euro has been in an up channel for two weeks and is approaching the bottom of the channel most traders looking for an opportunity in euro will bet on the continuance of the up trend and the maintenance of the channel. They will place buy orders just above the floor of the channel. And much of the time the charts will have been proven correct, the euro will indeed bounce from the floor of the channel. But it bounces not because, for instance, the ECB is expected to raise rates at some future date, but because of the fit between the goals, information and assumptions of the market?s traders.

Traders need profits, all charts contain the same information and all traders operate with similar assumptions about market behavior based on chart formations. If enough traders place their buy orders above the bottom of the channel it becomes likely that the euro will bounce off the floor of the channel and continue the upward channel formation, barring external events of course.

There is powerful self-fulfilling logic in technical analysis. It works, because everyone trading believes it will work and makes their trading decisions accordingly. For a retail trader this knowledge is the most accessible and effective trading strategy that exists.
Joe@fxsol.com
www.fxsol.com (http://www.fxsolutions.com/)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These comments are for information purposes only. Past results are not necessarily indicative of future results. FX Solutions, LLC believes that customers should be aware of the risks associated with over-the-counter, spot Forex. Forex trading is highly speculative in nature which can mean currency prices may become extremely volatile. Forex trading is highly leveraged, since low margin deposits normally are required, an extremely high degree of leverage is obtainable in foreign exchange trading. A relatively small market movement will have a proportionately larger impact on the funds you have deposited. You may sustain a total loss of your funds. Since the possibility of losing your entire cash balance does exist, speculation in the Forex market should only be conducted with risk capital you can afford to lose which will not dramatically impact your lifestyle.

To the best of our ability, FX Solutions believes the information contained herein is accurate and true. We reserve the right to make corrections and/or update the material when deemed necessary. Therefore, FX Solutions assumes no responsibility for errors, inaccuracies or omissions in these materials.

StreetAuthority
05-22-2014,
This was a good read... just wanted to give it a quick bump for others to benefit from. Technical analysis is a touchy psychological subject for any type of trading, and I feel like it's most true for futures trading. I've destroyed myself on some positions because of adhering too closely to technical indicators/ systems, while other times I've been willing to do anything to go back and stick with my system!

At this point I've come to a pretty good balance, but I think everybody has to find their own point.. hence why I want to bump this article, only experience and other's viewpoints can help us get there.