PDA

View Full Version : Am I Looking For Too Large Of A Profit?

AdelaidaFa
07-15-2017,
I was just wondering what everyone's goal is for buying and selling stocks. Is there a certain percentage or amount of money you look to make. I seen someone post yesterday that they made 5% before they sold which equaled $37.00 considering he bought 100 shares. I pay $7.00 per trade which obviously equals up to $14.00 coming out of each trade cycle. I don't have enough of a portfolio to buy a lot of these stocks and gain small amounts which equals a large total. I have to wait longer to make any noticeable profit which obviously increases my risk. I guess I'm asking how do you start out with a smaller amount of cash.:?:

Adjistyync
07-15-2017,
Get a margin account or trade options if your seeking for greater percent gainers, but this also has more risk.

ABeespackBags
07-15-2017,
I guess I was looking at it backwards. I thought a margain account was for more experienced traders. I'm not saying I'm totally ignorant or anything but this opens up short selling doesn't it?

Adbxbeu
07-18-2017,
Yes and some places give you up to 4x your money balance to trade, but most of them are 2x your money balance.

admin
07-18-2017,
It may allow short selling, but also may be a requirement by your broker to allow option purchases. It was for me.

I understand where you're coming from as I just started trading this year with a smaller amount, only think I regret is buying small amounts of stock. With comissions it's harder to make any money that way, of course. So I'm going to start selling some winners and reducing the number of stocks I hold.