PDA

View Full Version : My Return to Dubai: The Middle East’s City of Gold

ABeespackBags
06-08-2017,
I recently returned from a weeklong stay in Dubai in the Gulf region of the Middle East.

I had first visited Dubai in 2013. At that time, Dubai’s stunning skyline, world-class hotels and global aspirations blew me away. If anything, Dubai’s ambitions seem to have grown since.

abivexi
06-09-2017,
One of seven members of the United Arab Emirates, Dubai has positioned itself as the gem of the Middle East — a peaceful pioneer of economic and social success that serves as a model for the rest of the Arab world. Once a small fishing village, Dubai obtained its independence from the British only in 1971.

abrehimogerugs
06-09-2017,
What it has accomplished since then is remarkable.

adeGazy
06-11-2017,
Dubai punches far above its demographic weight. When I first visited four years ago, it had a population of 1.8 million. Today, Dubai’s population has hit 2.72 million, and will roughly double again by 2030. It is not a typical city. About 92% of Dubai’s residents are expatriates — mostly guest workers from Asia and a tight cadre of foreign professionals, enjoying the benefits of no personal income tax.

Actuaracoax
06-12-2017,
I was overwhelmed because of its architecture and impressive organization.

I was embarrassed when I compared it to the threadbare and downtrodden airports that greet foreign visitors in New York and Washington, D.C.

Despite its tiny population, Dubai has an airport that welcomed a record 83.6 million passengers in 2016.