PDA

View Full Version : insurance & banking

fwoolihi
12-04-2016,
If you hold stocks in insurance and banking and listen to these dumb reporters on tv, it could lead you astray in re: to the hurricanes.

I just heard a guy on CNBC suggesting banks in the affected areas could go out of business because people who hold mortgages might not have home insurance. You can't have a mortgage, unless you have an active insurance policy and if you default on payments, the bank is immediately notified and your mortgage is canceled.

In hurricane areas, regular homeowners' insurance doesn't cover damage for wind or flooding. Here in NC, we are required to carry two additional policies, one for wind damage and one for flood damage. It wouldn't affect other people's rates for regular homeowner's insurance or the companies who write them, because our regular policies don't cover storm damage, in any way.

gbblbpqr70
12-05-2016,
The first rule of banks is to cover their own @ss. They would no sooner give a mortgage on a house than they would loan for a new car without insurance. Maybe they meant a chain reaction from bankrupt insurance companies to bank.

Garry95
12-06-2016,
No, I'm serious!! LOL The premise of the discussion on CNBC was about banks holding mortgages on properties that are now worthless, because they've been destroyed by the hurricane and the homeowners might not have insurance. I couldn't believe my ears.

Our wind policy is purchased from the state we live in and our flood policy is from FEMA.

The big problem is people who are renters or own their homes outright and don't bother to buy insurance, because it's not required of them. They expect the government to pay for everything and FEMA is always there with the handouts and free manufactured houses.

Nobility Homes is up about $5, today, the govt buys these houses from places like that. I wish I had thought of that stock, earlier!!

georgie
12-09-2016,
re: insurance

Very interesting article on Marketwatch regarding the insurance companies and Hurricane Katrina:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...701-45B0-9768-BF1551BC7A49}&siteid=mktw&dist= (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B9252EA46%2DC701%2D45B0%2D9768%2D BF1551BC7A49%7D&siteid=mktw&dist=)